hear [ hiə] vt.听见;审讯;听说
hear of 听到,听说
hear from 接到…的信
hear sb. out 听某人把话讲完
hear [hiə] v. 听见;听说, 得知
hearing ['hiəriŋ] n. 听力
hard of hearing 稍聋的人
Programmes can be heard live and recorded on our website.在我们的网站上可听到现场和录音节目。
disciplinary hearing
纪律聆讯
public hearing 公听会
I am always amazed when I heard people saying that sport creates goodwill between the nations, and that if only the common peoples of the world could meet one another at football or cricket, they would have no inclination to meet on the battlefield.
每当我听说体育运动能够在国家间建立起友好感情,说世界各地的普通人只要能在足球场或板球场上相遇就会没有兴趣在战场上相遇的话,我都倍感诧异。
Save your breath! I don't want to hear it.
不要说了,我不想听。
I'm very glad to hear that.
很高兴听你这样说。
I had heard so much about you.
久仰大名。
Never heard of it!
没听说过!
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard!
那是我听到的最愚蠢的事!
I never resort to a prepared script — anyone who does not have it in his head to do 30 minutes extemporaneous talking is not entitled to be heard.
我从不求助于事先准备的讲稿,任何想不出30分钟即席讲话内容的人就没有资格让人来听。
Babies do not want to hear about babies, they like to be told of giants and castles, and that which can stretch and stimulate their little minds.
幼童不愿听关于幼童的故事,他们喜欢给他们讲巨人和城堡,那可以扩张和刺激他们小小的心灵。
I hear there is a big reward for the seizing of the thief.
我听说为捉拿那小偷设立了重奖。
He turned up the radio so that everybody could hear it.
他把收音机的声音放大,这样人人都听得到。
I could hear the door banging in the wind.
我能听到门被风吹得直响。
We were so worried when we didn't hear from you for three weeks.
三周没有你的消息,我们非常担心。
We were amazed to hear that she passed the test without much difficulty.
听说她轻而易举地通过了考试, 我们都很惊奇。
I heard her sing in the next room last night.
昨夜我听见她在隔壁房间唱歌。
Hearing the sad news, the mother collapsed. (= When she heard the sad news, ....)
听到这一不幸消息, 母亲悲痛欲绝。
The artist was so absorbed in her work that she didn't hear her visitor enter the room.
这位艺术家聚精会神于自己的工作,以至于没有听到来访者进了房间。
The chairman roared with anger when he heard the bad news.
听到坏消息,主席气得大叫。
Hearing a scream, she sat up in alarm.
听到尖叫声,她慌忙坐起来。
Lord, hear our request.
上帝啊,听听我们的祈求吧。
She heard his footsteps on the stairs.
她听到了他在楼梯上的脚步声。
I'd like to meet him face to face someday; I've heard so much about him.
我很想有一天能直接见见他,我已听到了很多关于他的情况。
People get upset when they hear bad news.
听到坏消息,人们深感不安。
A dog's ears enable it to hear the least sound.
狗的耳朵使它能听到极细微的声音。
I was startled to hear his news.
听到他的消息我大吃一惊。
It's disgusting to hear him boasting about his new car.
听他吹嘘他的新车真让人恶心。
The lost man yelled, hoping someone in the woods would hear him.
迷路的人大声叫喊,希望树林里有人能听到。
Loud music can affect your hearing.
喧噪的音乐会影响你的听力。
Did you hear that noise, or was it my imagination?
你听到那声音了没有?还是仅仅是我的想象?
How did you hear of our goods? Was it through our announcements?
你是怎么知道我们产品的?是通过我们的广告吗?
We only heard of your intended visit yesterday!
我们是昨天才听说你的来访意向的。
Many people have heard of web learning but they have never tried it.
许多人听说过网上学习,可从未尝试过。
She still has very acute hearing, though she is eighty years old.
尽管她已经80岁了, 但她的听觉仍然很灵敏。
Upon (or: On) hearing the news, she burst into tears.
一听到这个消息, 她就放声大哭起来。
Subsequently, they heard that he had left the country.
后来,他们听说他已经离开了这个国家。
That’s the most incredible story I’ve ever heard!
那是我听说过的最令人难以置信的故事了!
I have been hearing favorable accounts of your work.
我一直听到赞扬你工作的话。
We could hear the soup beginning to bubble.
我们能听见汤开始冒泡的声音。
Now (that) I've heard the music I understand why you like it.
听过之后,我知道你为何喜欢这音乐了。
We are very sorry to hear that the famous poet has fallen on dark days.
听说那位著名诗人处境困难,我们很难过。
I'm sorry to hear that my relatives have fallen upon dark days; what can I do to help?
听到亲戚们遭到了不幸我很难过,我能帮什么忙?
I heard only a fragment of their conversation.
他们的对话,我只听到片言只语。
Did you not hear that I chased mice out of my kitchen?
你没有听见我在厨房里 赶老鼠吗?
I heard the clock, but I didn't get up until 9.
我听见闹钟了,但我捱到九点才起。
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that.
听到这消息我很遗憾。
I heard she got married last week.
我听说她上星期结婚了。
Have you heard the weather forecast?
你听天气预报了吗?
I want to hear your opinion.
我想听听你们想法。
I haven't heard from him for a long time.
我很久没有收到他的信了。
I have never heard the piece before, who wrote it?
我从没听过这首曲子,谁写的?
Not a sound was heard. 一点声音也没有。
I heard some one laughing. 我听见有人在笑。
I'm very glad to hear that. 很高兴听你这样说。
You may have heard of Birth Control.你们也许听说过控制人口出生的措施。
I have just heard from my sister, Mary.我刚收到我妹妹玛丽的一封信。
I haven't heard from her for a long time.我好久没有她的消息了。
I cannot express how glad I am to hear from him.我无法表达我接到他的信时有多高兴。
From those sounds which we hear on small or on coarse occasions, we do not easily receive strong impressions, or delightful images; and words to which we are nearly strangers, whenever they occur, draw that attention on themselves which they should transmit to things.
我们在小场合或是粗鲁的场合听到的声音,不容易有强烈的印象或是令人愉悦的形象。对于那些生词,无论什么时候出现,我们要把注意力放到传达意义上。
He turned around as he heard a noise behind him.
他听到身后有响声,便转过身来。
We heard the beat of the drum.
我们听到鼓声。
Can you hear the morning bell ringing?
你能听到晨钟响吗?
She cried with grief when she heard news of her friend's death.
听到朋友死亡的消息,她难过地哭了。
Don't shout into my ears like that, I can hear you perfectly well.
别那样对我大声嚷嚷,我能听清楚。
I heard a faint sound in the distance.
我听到远处有个微弱的声音。
His face turned gray as he heard the bad news.
听到这个坏消息后,他的脸变得苍白。
I can hardly wait to hear the news.
我迫不及待地想听到这个消息。
We listened but could hear nothing.
我们注意听,但什么也听不见。
I imagined she was quite surprised when she heard the truth.
我想她听说真相后一定很惊讶。
Did you hear the knocks at the door?
你听到敲门声了吗?
I haven't heard any news from my son lately.
我最近没听到我儿子的任何音讯。
I heard it on the 7 o'clock news.
我在七点钟的新闻报道中听到了这则消息。
There is so much noise in this restaurant; I can hardly hear you talking.
这个餐厅里太嘈杂了,我几乎听不到你说话。
I have heard of him.
我听说过他。
Hearing the bell, we raced to the class.
听到铃声,我们赶快跑去上课。
It made me sad to hear you have to go away.
听到你非走不可,我觉得很伤心。
I heard a shot in his room.
我听到他的房间内一声枪响。
We all heaved a sigh of relief when we heard that they were safe.
当我们听说他们平安无事时,都松了一口气。
I was sorry to hear that your cat had died.
听说你的猫死了,我觉得很难过。
My wife burst into tears when she heard the bad news.
我太太听到这个坏消息就哭了起来。
The old man was lost in thought and did not hear us come in.
这个老人凝神沉思,没有听见我们进来。
I didn't wake up until I heard the alarm clock.
直到听到闹钟的铃声我才醒来。
We could hear the children's voices in the garden.
我们可以听到花园里孩子们的声音。
She said it in a whisper, so I didn't hear.
她是悄声说的,所以我没有听见。
我从来没听说过那首歌。
I've never heard of that song.
Do you know that song? (你知道那首歌吗?)
No, I've never heard of that song. (没有,我从来没听说过那首歌。)
我听不清楚。
I can't hear you very well.
Are you free tomorrow? (明天有空吗?)
I can't hear you very well. (我听不清楚。)
I can barely hear you. (我一点儿都听不见。)
I'm having trouble hearing you. (我听不太清楚。)
您的房子真好。
I like your house.
I like your house. (您的房子真好。)
I'm glad to hear that. (听你这么说,我很高兴。)
好像要下雨。
We're expecting some rain.
It's going to rain.
It's supposed to rain.
Rain is expected.
I heard it might rain. (我听说今天可能下雨。)
你在听吗?
Are you listening to me? *这句是用于确认对方是否在注意听自己讲话。注意在这儿不能用动词hear。
Are you paying attention?
你听得见吗?
Can you hear me? *用于周围很吵,难以听清楚所说内容时。这时的“听”只能用hear,不能用listen to。
Can you hear me? (你听得见吗?)
Loud and clear. (声音很大,听得很清楚。)
你听见我说的了吗?
Did you hear me?
嗯,我听说了。
Yeah, I heard about it.
Jeff got married. (杰夫结婚了。)
Yeah, I heard about it. (啊,我听说了。)
Yeah, someone told me.
Yes, I've been told.
Yeah, I know.
我听着呢。/我知道了。
I hear you. *对对方所说的事情表示“知道了”、“听到了”。
We have to work harder. (我们得更加努力地工作了。)
I hear you. (我听着呢。/我知道了。)
Yes, I understand.
我听不见。
I can't hear you. *这种情况下只能用hear而不能用listen。
I can't hear a word you're saying. (我根本听不见你说什么。)
I can't hear you at all. (根本听不见。)
I can't hear you well. (我听不太清楚。)
我很想听听那件事。
I'd like to hear the story.
Did you hear about my trip? (你听说我旅行的事了吗?)
Not yet. I'd like to hear the story. (没呢。我很想知道。)
I'd like to know the story.
I'd like to hear about it.
那事儿我听过了。
I've heard the story before. *用于对方重复说一件事时。
You've already told me.
I'm sick and tired of hearing that. (我耳朵都听出老茧了。) *sick and tired of... “对……腻透了”。
I've heard enough about it (already).*加already起强调作用。
I don't want to hear about it anymore. (我再也不想听那件事了。)
别那么大声说。
Don't say it so loud.
Don't say it so loud. (别那么大声说。)
I thought you were hard of hearing. (我以为你没听见呢。)
Don't say that kind of thing so loudly. (那种事别那么大声嚷嚷。)
说得对!说得好!
Hear, hear! *对演讲人说出的重大的事情表示充分赞成的表达方式。
We should lower taxes! (应该减少税金。)
Hear, hear! (说得对!说得对!)
我否认。
I deny that. *正式的说法。在受到指责,否认其申述或陈述时。
I heard you say it. (我听你这么说的。)
I deny that. (我否认。)
让我听听您的直言。
Let me hear your candid opinion. *candid “直率的,不客气的”。
Please tell me what you honestly think.
我听见有什么声音。
I heard something.
I heard something. (我听见有声音。)
It's just my dog. (那是我的狗。)
What was that noise? (那是什么声响?)
I think I heard something. (我听见有动静。)
听小道消息说。
A little bird told me. *说不清楚是从哪儿听来的,或者不愿意说出是从谁那儿听来的情况下使用。
A little bird told me that today is your birthday. (听说今天是你的生日。)
Wait. Who told you? (喂!谁告诉你的?)
I heard it through the grapevine. *grapevine 原意为“葡萄藤,葡萄属植物”,这里表示“谣言,传闻”。比较常用。
I just overheard it.
听到这消息我很高兴。
I'm glad to hear it.
I'm happy you told me.
That's great to hear.
I'm relieved to hear that. (听了那个消息,我就放心了。)
真是个好消息。
That's good news.
I heard John got married. (我听说约翰结婚了。)
That's good news. (真是个好消息。)
That's welcome news!
听这么一说,我就放心了。
I felt relieved to hear that. *relieve 可以表示放下心来、安心的心情。
Did you hear that the meeting went well?(你听说了吗?那个会开得很顺利。)
Yes, I felt relieved to hear that. (听说了,这么一来我就放心了。)
I was relieved to hear that.
I felt much better after hearing that.
我不想再听你的辩解了。
I've heard enough of your excuses. *直译是“我已经听够你的解释了。”
But I can't help it. (可是我毫无办法呀!)
I've heard enough of your excuses. (我不想再听你的辩解了。)
我不想听任何解释。
I don't want to hear any excuses.
真无聊!
It's boring.
Do you want to watch that movie? (你想看那部电影吗?)
No, I hear it's boring. (不,听说那电影很无聊。)
够了!
That's enough. *表示不想再听下去时。
Mom! She won't leave me alone and she keeps playing with my toys and... (妈妈,她不让我一个人呆着,还拿我的玩具玩。)
That's enough. Stop complaining. (够了,别那么多牢骚了。)
I've had it. (我受不了了。)
I've had enough.
I've heard enough! (我听够了。)
That's it.
Enough is enough. (够了,别再说了!)
越听越烦。
The more I hear about it, the more disgusted I get. *The more..., the more... “越……越……”、 “越来越……”。
The more I hear about it, the more disgusted I become.
The more I know, the sicker I feel.
我不想听。
I don't want to hear it.
I don't want to hear about it.
闭嘴!
Shut up! *常用于吵架等场合,语气非常严厉。
Shut up! I don't want to hear it! (住嘴!我不想听。)
You shut up! (你住嘴!)
Shut your mouth.
Keep your mouth shut.
Be quiet! (安静!)
Shut the fuck up. *这是一句语气尖锐、很难听的脏话,最好不用。
Can it.
我不想再听你说的谎话。
I don't want to hear any more of your lies.
I don't want to hear your bull.
I don't want to hear you lying to me any more.
我觉得空荡荡的。
I feel empty. *empty表示“缺少内容的,缺乏价值的,没有意义的”。
My son died, now I feel empty. (我儿子去世了,我心里空荡荡的。)
I'm sorry to hear that. (真是太不幸了。)
I feel incomplete. *incomplete(不完全的)在这里表示“内心不充实”的状态,比I feel empty.更强调空虚。
(I'm) sorry to hear that.
My dog died. (我的狗死了。)
I'm sorry to hear that. (听到这事我很难过。)
I'm sorry about that.
Perhaps you've heard our product's name. Would you like to know more about it?
也许你已听说过我们产品的名称,你想知道更多一点吗?
Good. That's just what we want to hear.
很好,那正是我们想要听的。
For those of you that didn't hear it, the question was how soon we could expect the product to be on sale.
你们并未听说过,问题是产品多快能上市。
We were pleased to hear from your letter of 6 August that you were impressed with our selection of toys.
我们很高兴收到你方8月6日来函得知你方对我们的玩具非常感兴趣。
We hope to hear from you soon and can assure you that your order will be dealt with promptly.
希望尽快收到贵方答复,我们保证及时处理对方定单。
We'd like to hear what you say concerning the matter of packing.
我们很想听听你们在包装方面有什么意见。
Save your breath! I don't want to hear it.
不要说了,我不想听。
You can say that again!
这句话的意思是「我同意你」(I agree with you.)或「你对了」(You are right.)
When the professor spoke on human rights, the students responded, "You can say that again!"(当教授谈到人权时;学生回答说:「你说得对!」)
虽然这句话的主词通常只用第二人称单数 You,但在某些情况下,也可以用其他人称。
When we heard Mr. Clinton's speech on tax reduction, my wife turned to me and said, "He can say that again!"(当我们听到柯林顿先生减税的讲演时,内人转头对我说:「他说得对!」)
“他精力充沛”美国人说:“He is bouncy.”而不说“He is energetic ”,牢记一些日常对话中的活句式是你一把必备的钥匙。
如:久仰,“I get mind of you “.比”I heard a lot about you.”轻松得多。
A man has two ears and one mouth that he may hear much and speak little.
人有两只耳朵一张嘴,就是为了多听少说话。
Believe not all that you see nor half what you hear.
眼见的不能全信,耳闻的也不能半信。
Be swift to hear, slow to speak.
多听少说。
Do not all you can, spend not all you have; believe not all you hear; and tell not all you know.
不要为所能为,不要花尽所有,不要全信所闻,不要言尽所知。
Each bird loves to hear himself sing.
鸟儿都爱听自己唱歌。
From hearing comes wisdom; from speaking, repentance.
多听增智慧,多言生后悔。
He that would live in peace and rest must hear and see, and say the best.
要想太太平平,生活安定,必须耳聪目明,善言动听。
He who says what he likes shall hear what he does not like.
欢喜说他欢喜的话者将要听到他不欢喜的话。
Kindness is the language that the deaf can hear and the dumb understand.
善良为语言,聋子能天见哑巴懂心间。
Maidens should (or must) be mild and meek, swift to hear and slow to speak.
少女应温良谦恭,敏于听而慎于言。
Men love to hear well of themselves.
阿谀奉承话,人们皆爱听。
Nature has given us two ears, two eyes, and but one tongue, to the end that we should hear and see more than we speak.
天赋我们两耳,两眼,一张嘴巴,归根到底该多听,多看,少说话。
Never say of another what you would not have him hear.
莫说不想让人听见的话。
None are so deaf as those who will not hear.
不愿倾听意见者最聋。
None so deaf as those that won't hear.
置若罔闻。
One cannot do a foolish thing once in one's life, but one must hear of it a hundred times.
为人一生一件蠢事也不做,但要听到上百遍蠢事。
Say not all that you know, believe not all that you hear.
莫道全所知,莫信全所闻。
Speak of angels and you will hear their wings.
说到曹操,曹操就到。
Talk of an angel and you'll hear his wings.
说到曹操,曹操就到。
The truths we least like to hear are those which it is most to our advantage to know.
我们最不喜欢听到的真实,总是我们知道了会大有好处的真实。
To hear a hundred times is not so good as to see once.
百闻不如一见。
Two ears to one tongue, therefore hear twice as much as you speak.
两只耳朵对一舌,故应多听而少说。
When all men speak no man hears.
人人都讲话,无人去听它。
It is a long time since we have heard you about...
收到你方关于...的信件后已过了很长的时间。
We hear on good authority that...
我们从可靠的官方消息得知...
We are very sorry indeed to hear from your letter of ..that...
从贵方...月...日的信函中得知...,我们确实很遗憾。
Unless we hear form you to the contrary...
除非我方收到你方相反的通知...
Perhaps you've heard our product's name. Would you like to know more about it?
也许你已听说过我们产品的名称,你想知道更多一点吗?
Good. That's just what we want to hear.
很好,那正是我们想要听的。
I've heard so much about you!
久仰大名!
A I’ll see you later tonight. I’m going to my music class first.
A 今晚晚些时候见。我先去上音乐课。
B Your music class What musical instrument do you play?
B 音乐课?你玩什么乐器?
A I play the piano. I practise every week. It’s my hobby.
A 我弹钢琴。我每周都练习。这是我的业余爱好。
B I didn’t know you play the piano. I’d love to hear you play.
B 我不知道你弹钢琴。我想听你弹弹。
A You can come and listen, if you’d like. What’s your hobby?
A 如果你愿意的话可以来听。你的爱好是什么?
B Well, I like music too – but not playing musical instrument. I like going to clubs and hearing the best DJs.
B 哦,我也喜欢音乐——但是不是乐器。我喜欢去俱乐部听最好的DJ。
A What do you like to do in your spare time?
A 你业余时间喜欢做什么?
B I like to hear bands playing music.
B 我喜欢听乐队演奏。
A Like in the clubs and bars?
A 像俱乐部和酒吧里的乐队?
B Yes, you can see lots of new groups in the bars and clubs in Beijing.
B 是的,在北京的酒吧和俱乐部里你可以看到很多新的组合。
A Is it mostly rock music Or do you like other styles?
A 大多数都是摇滚乐队吗?或者你喜欢其他的风格?
B I like lots of different styles – rock, rap, whatever. It’s just good to hear it and see it in Beijing. I guess it’s my hobby!
B 我喜欢各种不同的风格——摇滚、说唱,无论什么。在北京听到、看到这样的演奏非常好。我想这就是我的爱好!
A I’ve got relatives living abroad.
A 我有亲戚住在国外。
B Really? Where?
B 是吗?在哪里?
A In Canada. My aunt and uncle live in Vancouver.
A 在加拿大。我的叔叔和婶婶住在温哥华。
B There’re quite a lot of Chinese communities on the west coast of Canada and the States.
B 在加拿大和美国的西海岸有很多华人社区。
A Yes, there are lots of Chinese in Vancouver. They said it’s a really nice city.
A 是的,在温哥华有很多华人。他们说那是非常美丽的城市。
B Yes, I’ve heard it’s beautiful.
B 是的,我听说过温哥华非常漂亮。
A I’ve also got a cousin in Manchester, England.
A 我在英国的曼彻斯特还有一个表弟。
B Ah, Manchester – home of Manchester United! What does he do?
B 啊,曼彻斯特-曼联队的故乡!他是做什么的?
A He’s studying at the university there. He really likes there.
A 他在那里上大学。他非常喜欢那里。
B I’ve heard that Manchester has a really good Chinatown, like the one in San Francisco.
B 我听说曼彻斯特有一条非常好的唐人街,就像旧金山的那样。
A I think you can find Chinese people all over the world.
A 我想你在世界各地都能看到中国人。
B Well, you should visit your relatives in Canada and England,.
B 哦,你应该去看望加拿大和英国的亲戚。
A How was your trip down south?
A 你去南方的旅程如何?
B It was good. But I was very busy. I visited Guangzhou.
B 很好。但是很忙。我去了广州。
A Did you get a chance to go to Shenzhen? I’ve heard it’s worth seeing.
A 你有机会去深圳吗?我听说那里值得一看。
B No, I didn’t go to Shenzhen. I was too busy.
B 不,我没有去深圳。我太忙了。
A Maybe next time. I wanted to visit Shenzhen when I was down south but I didn’t have time either.
A 也许下次吧。当我在南方时我很想去深圳,但是我也没有时间。
B Yes, next time I go down south, I’ll make sure I have enough time.
B 是的,下次我去南方,我将确保自己有足够的时间。
A Hi! What are you doing this weekend? Any good plans?
A 嗨!你这个周末怎么过?有什么好的计划吗?
B I’m going out with some friends. We’re hoping to catch some good music.
B 我要和朋友一起出去。我们希望能听到一些好的音乐。
A That sounds good. Where are you going?
A 听起来不错。你们要去哪里?
B We’re not sure yet. Do you know any good clubs with live music?
B 我们还不确定。你知道那家夜总会有现场音乐演奏吗?
A You might find some around Sanlitun, or Houhai.
A 在三里屯或者后海一带你可能会找到这样的夜总会。
B We heard that Haidian was good for clubs, around the university area.
B 我们听说海淀是夜总会的好去处,在大学城周围。
A Hello. How can I help you?
A 您好。您需要什么?
B Excuse me, is it possible to see a doctor?
B 劳驾,可以帮忙找个医生吗?
A Yes, we can arrange that. Is it for you?
A 是的,我们可以安排。是你看医生吗?
B No, not me. It's my colleague, Mr. Smith. He's in room 1612. He's feeling unwell and I think he needs to see a doctor.
B 不,不是我。是我的同事,史密斯先生。他住1612号房。他感觉不舒服,我想他需要看医生。
A I'm sorry to hear that. Please don't worry. The hotel has a list of doctors. We can call one for your colleague.
A 听到这个消息我很难过。请不必担心。旅馆有很多医生的名单。我们可以打电话叫一个医生来给你的同事看病。
B That would be great. Thank you.
B 那太好了。谢谢你。
A I want to see Shanghai. I've heard it's a very interesting city.
A 我想看看上海。我听说上海是个非常有趣的城市。
B What do you want to see? ?Anything special?
B 你想看什么?有什么特别想看的吗?
A Oh, lots of things. Old Shanghai, the houses, the streets, the markets, the river front ...
A 哦,想看很多东西。老上海的房子、街道、市场以及河滩...
B You may be disappointed, you know. Shanghai looks more modern than Beijing nowadays.
B 你可能会失望的,你知道。上海现在看起来比北京还现代。
A That's a shame. But maybe some of the old city remains.
A 太遗憾了!但是也许有一些旧上海的东西遗留下来吧。
B Oh, yes. There are still lots of the old areas.
B 噢,是的。现在上海仍然有许多老区。
A I hear The Golden Palace restaurant is very good.
A 我听说金王宫饭店非常好。
B Yes, it's excellent. You should try it. The food is very good.
B 是的,非常棒。你应该去那里看看。菜做得非常好。
A Shall we go there this evening?
A 我们今晚去那里好吗?
B Good idea. It's a small restaurant. ?It's best to reserve a table.
B 好主意。那是一家小餐馆,最好先预订一张桌。
A OK. I'll phone and book now.
A 好,我现在就打电话预订。
B If it's full, we can try tomorrow evening.
B 如果餐馆满员,我们可以明天晚上去。
A I've heard about that restaurant. What was the food like?
A 我听说过那家餐馆的情况。那里的饭菜怎么样?
B Well, it's known for its modern cooking.
B 哦,那里以它的现代烹饪而闻名。
A And was it really good?
A 饭菜确实好吗?
B Not really. The vegetables were fresh, but the meat was tough.
B 不太好。蔬菜很新鲜,但是肉很硬。
A Tough? ?That’s not very good, especially in an expensive restaurant.
A 硬?那可不太好,尤其是在一家很贵的餐馆里。
B I know. I wouldn't recommend it at all.
B 我知道。我绝对不会推荐它了。
A Hi Feng. Pleased to meet you. Are you from Beijing?
A 你好,冯! 很高兴见到你。你是北京人吗?
B No, I’m not. I live here and work here but I’m not from Beijing.
B 不,我不是 。我住在这里,并且在这里工作,但是我不是北京人。
A So, where are you from originally.
A 那么,你原来是哪里人?
B From Harbin. Do you know Harbin? I was born there but I came to Beijing to go to university.
B 我是哈尔滨人。你知道哈尔滨吗? 我出生在那里,但是我到北京上的大学。
A No, I haven’t been to Harbin. I hear it’s very cold!
A 不,我没有去过哈尔滨。我听说那里非常冷。
B Yes, it can be cold. I hope you visit it one day. It’s a good city too.
B 是的,那里会很冷。我希望有一天你去那里看看。那也是个好城市。
A There’s a lot of people in the hotel today.
A 今天旅馆里有很多人。
B Yes, lots of tourists and business people.
B 是的,有很多旅游者和商人。
A What about them? I can’t make out the language they’re speaking. It’s not English.
A 那些人呢?我弄不清他们在讲什么语言。他们说的不是英语。
B Let me try and hear them.
B 让我来听听。
A Do you know what the language is? Can you understand it?
A 你知道那是什么语言吗?你能听懂吗?
B Yes, I think it’s Arabic. I think they’re from the Middle East.
B 是的,我想是阿拉伯语。我想他们是从中东来。
A Hi! What are your plans for the weekend?
A 你好!你周末有什么计划?
B I don’t really know yet. I’d like to hear some live music.
B 现在还不太清楚。我想听一些现场音乐。
A There are some good clubs for music. Where are you going?
A 有一些不错的酒吧里有音乐。你想去哪里?
B I haven’t decided. Is there somewhere you can recommend?
B 我还没有决定。你能推荐某个地方吗?
A You might find some around Sanlitun, or Houhai or Haidan.
A 你可以在三里屯,后海或者海淀一带找到这样的地方。
B I’ve heard that Haidan was good for clubs. Maybe I’ll try there.
B 我听说后海的俱乐部很不错。也许我该到那里看看。
A I’m going to visit friends in Chongqing next week.
A 我下周要去重庆看我的朋友们。
B That’s in the south-west of China, isn’t it?
B 重庆在中国的西南部,是吗?
A Yes, it is. It’s very different from Beijing. It’s a really big city and the people are different.
A 是的,是这样。那里和北京很不一样。那是个相当大的城市,那里的人也不同。
B And the food! I hear the cuisine is quite hot.
B 还有食物也不同!我听说川菜很辣。
A Yes, the food in Chongqing can be very spicy compared to Beijing cuisine.
A 是的,重庆的食物跟北京的比起来很辣。
B Well, I hope you have a good trip. I’d like to visit Chongqing myself one day.
B 哦,祝你旅途愉快。有一天我也想去重庆看看。
A Tonight we’re going to eat Peking Duck.
A 今晚我们要去吃北京烤鸭。
B Good. I’m looking forward to it. I’ve heard so much about it.
B 好的。我很期待吃北京烤鸭。关于北京烤鸭我听得太多了。
A I think you’ll enjoy it. It’s a good restaurant too.
A 我想你会喜欢的。而且那是一家很好的餐馆。
B Where is it? Is it nearby?
B 餐馆在哪里?在这附近吗?
A It’s not far. It’s on the south side of Changan Avenue. It’s only ten minutes from your hotel by taxi.
A 不太远。在长安街的南面。从你住的旅馆乘出租车到那里只要10分钟。
B Good. Shall we meet in the lobby at 6 and then take a taxi?
B 好。咱们今晚6点在旅馆大堂见面然后一起打车走好吗?
On Sunday I’m going to the Lama Temple with a friend.
周日我要和一个朋友一起去喇嘛庙。
The Lama Temple? I’ve heard that is very interesting.
喇嘛庙?我听说那里非常有意思。
Yes, it is. Would you like to come with us?
是的,是这样。你想和我们一起去吗?
Yes, please. What time are you going?
想,带我一起去吧。你们什么时候去?
About 10 o’clock in the morning. Is that ok for you?
大约上午10点。时间对你合适吗?
Yes, perfect.
合适,没问题。
If you wish to lower yourself in a person's favor, one good way is to tell his story over again, the way we heard it.
Mark Twain, American writer
你要想贬低自己、讨好别人,一个绝招就是把他的故事,按你所听到的样子原封不动地讲一遍又一遍。
美国作家马克?吐温
We often hear of people breaking down from overwork, but in nine cases out of ten they are really suffering from worry or anxiety.
John Lubbock , British banker
我们常常听人说,人们因工作过度而垮下来,但是实际上十有八九是因为饱受担忧或焦虑的折磨。
英国银行家卢伯克.J.
The people may safely be trusted to hear everything true and false, and to form a correct judgment,Were it fall to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers of newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.
Thomas Jefferson, American president
人民是完全可以信赖的,应该让他们听到一切真实和虚伪的东西,然后作出正确的判断。倘使让我来决定,我们应该是有一个政府而不要报纸呢,还是应该有报纸而不要政府,我会毫不犹豫选择后者。
美国总统杰斐逊.T.
The people may safely be trusted to hear everything true and false, and to form a correct judgment,Were it fall to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers of newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.
Thomas Jefferson, American president
人民是完全可以信赖的,应该让他们听到一切真实和虚伪的东西,然后作出正确的判断。倘使让我来决定,我们应该是有一个政府而不要报纸呢,还是应该有报纸而不要政府,我会毫不犹豫选择后者。
美国总统杰斐逊.T.
I don’t want to hear it.
不想听!
I heard other stores were having great mark-downs on this item.
听说别家的这个东西在大减价。
A:Tony? Oh,it's been a while since we've talked to each other. So nice to hear you again.
Tony?好久没通电话了。听到你的声音太好了。
B:Same here. Hey, did you know Terry is going to be married? She invited me to her wedding and she wants you to attend also.
我也是,
你知道Terry要结婚了吗?她请我参加她的婚礼。她也想让你去。
A:Really?
真的吗?
B:Definitely. I'm calling to tell you this.
是的。我打电话就是告诉你这个的。
A:Why didn't she call me?
她怎么不打给我。
B:She tried. But the line is always busy.
她打过,可线路老是忙
A:Well, I may have stayed on the phone too long. Can you give me her number? I'll call her later.
我也许打电话时间太长了。你能给我她的号码吗?我呆会给她打过去。
B:Of course. It's 555-4653.
当然,555-4653.
have a crush on 迷恋某人
A: I'm having this huge crush on Ted. I'm going to try and see if I can ask him out this weekend.
A: 我最近好喜欢 Ted 喔! 我想看看能不能约他这个周末出来。
B: Well...But I heard that he is already seeing somebody.
B: 嗯....但是我听说他已经有了交往的对象了ㄝ!
Shh! He'll hear you.咻,小声点,他会听到的。
I don’t want to hear it.我不想听!
That’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard!那是我听到的最愚蠢的事!(比尔·盖茨常用)
All men hate to hear″We need to talk about our relation ship.hese words strike fear in the heart.
所有男人都不愿意听到我们需要谈一谈我们的关系这句话,它会引起恐慌。
He has noticed some loss of hearing.
他发觉听力差些。
@@@ 信
by mail 通过写信, 通过邮递
drop a line 写和邮寄短信
hear from 得到某人的消息; 收到来信
through the mail 通过写信
i have heard a lot about you. 久仰大名
a: i’ve heard a lot about you.
A: 久仰大名
b: good things, i hope.
B: 希望是好事!
初见面的问候语其实还有不少; 像“How do you do?”、“Howdy” (中西部用语) 都是「你好吗?」的意思。
I heard that you're getting married. Congratulations.
听说你要结婚了,恭喜!
Did you hear about the new project?
你知道那个新项目吗?
nitty-gritty细节,基本情况
Let's get down to the nitty-gritty. I want to hear what happens next.
让我们来认真了解详细的情况,我想知道后来发生了什么。
fast buck容易得来的钱财
I heard he made a fast buck at the race track.
我听说他赌马发了横财。
say what 你说什么?
Say what? I didn't hear what you said.
你说什么?我没听到。
spaced out魂不守舍
He didn't hear what you said. He's spaced out.
他没听到你说的话,他魂不守舍。
Have you heard from Mary?
你收到玛丽的来信吗?
I'm glad to hear that.
听到这消息我很高兴。
I'm sorry to hear that.
听到这个消息我感到很遗憾。
hard of hearing 稍聋的人
never heard of 从来没听说过
"Wait until you hear my new marketing plan -- it'll knock you socks off!"
“等你们听到我的推销计划时,你们都会大吃一惊的。”
"I tried to keep a poker face even though I was scared to death when I went back to my doctor to hear the results of my lab tests. But I admit I gave him the biggest smile of my life when he told me the tests were negative and there was nothing wrong with me.”
“当我去医生那里去看试验结果的时候,我害怕得要死。可是我尽量装得若无其事。不过,当大夫告诉我化验结果是阴性、我没有问题的时候,我对他笑了,我大概一辈子也没有笑得那么高兴的。”
"Did you hear what happened to Joe? He's lost his shirt, the poor guy -- invested all his money in a fancy restaurant and it just went out of business."
“你有没有听到关于乔的事?这回,他可真是丢掉了一切,真可怜。他把所有的钱都投资在一家豪华的餐馆里。而这家餐馆不久前倒闭了。”
"Pete never says very much. But when he hears about somebody who's sick in the hospital or lost his job, he's always the first to put his hand in his pocket and bring out money to help. Yes, sir, he's the kind of man who'd give you the shirt off his back."
“皮特这个人平时话不多。但是,每当他听说某人有病进了医院,或失了业,他总是第一个拿钱出来帮忙。是的,他是这种会尽力帮助别人的人。”
"Every two weeks while the Congress is in session, I try to get back home to California to talk to people. This doesn't give me much time to relax with my family, but I have to keep an ear to the ground and hear what voters are thinking about."
“当国会举行会议的时候我每两个星期设法抽空回加州一次去和当地的人进行交谈。我没有多少时间可以和家人在一起,但是我得及时了解选民的想法。”
"I try to keep an ear to the ground and what I hear these days is that most people think we spend too much money on building roads and not enough on our schools."
“我总是设法注意人们的想法。最近我听说,大多数人认为我们在筑路方面花钱太多,而用在学校方面的钱却不足。”
- through the grapevine 道听途说,小道消息
I hear through the grapevine that Jim has been dismissed from his post.
- feel a lump in one's throat 心里感到很难受
I felt a lump in my throat on hearing her story of fighting with the deadly disease.
From what I've heard youre ready well up in shipping work.
据我所知,您对运输工作很在行。
We'd like to hear what you say concerning the matter of packing.
我很想听听你们就包装问题发表意见。
I come to hear about your offer for fertilizers.
我来听听你们有关化肥的报盘。
I've heard that you have lodged a claim against us.
听说你们已经向我们提出了索赔。
If you want to ask where something is, you use the question word: Where . . .? / Where . . ? For example, in a hotel, you might ask: Where are the lifts? / Where are the lifts? (Another word for lifts / lifts you might hear is: elevator / elevator.)
如果你想问某个地方在哪里,你可以问:Where . . .? /……在哪里?例如,在宾馆里,你可以问:Where are the lifts? / 电梯在哪里? (电梯的一种说法是lifts / 电梯,另一种说法是 elevator / 电梯。)
A: Neil, on Sunday I’m going to the Lama Temple with a friend.
A: 尼尔,周日我要和一个朋友一起去喇嘛庙。
B: The Lama Temple? I’ve heard that very interesting.
B: 喇嘛庙?我听说那里非常有意思。
A: Yes, it is. Would you like to come with us?
A: 是的,是这样。你想和我们一起去吗?
B: Yes, please. What time are you going?
B: 想,带我一起去吧。你们什么时候去?
A: About 10 o’clock in the morning. Is that ok for you?
A: 大约上午10点。时间对你合适吗?
B: Yes, that’s perfect.
B: 合适,没问题。
A: Your pronunciation is very good, Ping. Your English sounds great.
A: 你的发音非常好,平。你的英语听起来很好听。
B: Thank you, Sue.
B: 谢谢你,苏。
A: It’s really good. How do you practice?
A: 你的英语真的很好。你怎么练习的?
B: It’s important to hear English and listen to it as much as you can.
B: 尽可能多地听英语是很重要的。
A: What do you do?
A: 你怎么做的?
B: I listen to the radio everyday. I buy CDs with English-language songs.
Everything helps!
B: 我每天听收音机。我还买英语歌曲CD。这些都很有帮助。
百听不厌 [bǎi tīng bù yàn] /worth hearing a hundred times/
百闻不如一见 [bǎi wén bù rú yī jiàn] /seeing for oneself is a hundred times better than hearing from others/
聪 [cōng] /quick at hearing/wise/clever/sharp-witted/intelligent/acute/
好听 [hǎo tīng] /pleasant to hear/
见闻 [jiàn wén] /what one sees and hears/knowledge/information/
聆 [líng] /apprehend/hear/listen/
聆讯 [líng xùn] /(legal) hearing/
审理 [shěn lǐ] /to hear (a case)/
听 [tīng] /listen/hear/obey/
听见 [tīng jiàn] /hear/
听力 [tīng lì] /hearing/
听取 [tīng qǔ] /hear (news)/listen to/
听说 [tīng shuō] /to hear told/
听说过 [tīng shuō guo ] /to hear said/
闻 [wén] /(surname)/hear/sniff at/
喜鹊 [xǐ què] /(n) magpie, legend has it that when heard a good event will soon follow/
"As soon as that report runs, we'll suddenly get 500 new internet sign-ups from Ukraine," says Friedman, a former political science professor.
“一旦这个报道发布,我们将从乌克兰突然新增500个浏览用户,”弗莱德曼,一位前政治科学教授说,“我们将听到其中一些人的回应。
"And we'll hear back from some of them." Open-source spying does have its risks, of course, since it can be difficult to tell good information from bad. That's where Straitford earns its keep.
”当然公开来源的谍报活动的确有它的风险,因为很难区分正确与错误的信息。这正是司特雷福公司挣饭吃的地方。
Hearing allegations of cruelty to animals in research settings, many are perplexed that anyone would deliberately harm an animal.
当人们听到医学实验虐待动物的指控时,许多人都不明白为什么有人会故意伤害动物。
Here is an example, which I heard at a nurses' convention, of a story which works well because the audience all shared the same view of doctors.
下面举一个例子,它是我在一个护士大会上听到的。这个故事效果很好,因为听众对医生都有同样的看法。
Well, no gain without pain, they say.
人们说,不劳就无获。
But what about pain without gain?
但是,如果有劳却无获又会怎样呢?
Everywhere you go in America, you hear tales of corporate revival.
在美国,无论你走到哪里都会听到企业复苏的故事。
What is harder to establish is whether the productivity revolution that businessmen assume they are presiding over is for real.
商人们自认为的他们所领导的生产力革命是否确有其事,这一点更加难以确定。
There is one more point I feel I ought to touch on.
我觉得有一点还得谈一谈。
Recently I heard a well-known television personality declare that he was against advertising because it persuades rather than informs.
最近我听到一位著名电视人宣称他反对广告,因为广告意在劝诱而非提供信息。
He was drawing excessively fine distinctions. Of course advertising seeks to persuade.
他把两者区分得过于细微,因为广告不可避免地要劝说消费者。
"All men are created equal." We've heard it many times, but it still has important meaning for education in a democratic society.
“人人生来平等”这句话我们已听过无数次,但它对民主社会的教育仍然有着极其重要的寓意。
Although the phrase was used by this country's founders to denote equality before the law, it has also been interpreted to mean equality of opportunity.
尽管这句话被国家缔造者们用来预示法律面前人人平等,它也被解释为机会面前人人平等。
That concept implies educational opportunity for all children — the right of each child to receive help in learning to the limits of his or her capacity, whether that capacity be small or great.
这一概念暗示了所有儿童都有接受教育的机会——即每个儿童,不管其本身的能力大小与否,都有权利在学习上最大限度地得到帮助。
{adj: amphoric} the sound heard in auscultation resembling the hollow sound made by blowing across the mouth of a bottle
"amphoric breathing indicates a cavity in the lung"
{adj: animated, alive} having life or vigor or spirit
"an animated and expressive face"
"animated conversation"
"became very animated when he heard the good news"
<-> unanimated
{adj: anxious, dying} eagerly desirous
"anxious to see the new show at the museum"
"dying to hear who won"
{adj: assumed, arrogated} taken as your right without justification
"was hearing evidence in an assumed capacity"
"Congress's arrogated powers over domains hitherto belonging to the states"
{adj: audible, hearable} heard or perceptible by the ear
"he spoke in an audible whisper"
<-> inaudible
{adj: audiovisual} involving both hearing and seeing (usually relating to teaching aids)
"the school's audiovisual department"
{adj: auditory, audile, auditive} of or relating to the process of hearing
"auditory processing"
"an audile person"
{adj: aural} of or pertaining to hearing or the ear
"an animal with a very sensitive aural apparatus"
{adj: auricular} relating to or perceived by or shaped like the organ of hearing
"my apprehension of words is auricular; I must hear what I read"- George Santayana
"an auricular confession"
"an auricular appendage"
{adj: binaural, biaural} relating to or having or hearing with two ears
"binaural hearing"
<-> monaural
{adj: breathed, voiceless} uttered without voice
"could hardly hear her breathed plea, `Help me'"
"voiceless whispers"
{adj: characteristic} typical or distinctive
"heard my friend's characteristic laugh"
"red and gold are the characteristic colors of autumn"
"stripes characteristic of the zebra"
<-> uncharacteristic
{adj: circuitous, roundabout} marked by obliqueness or indirection in speech or conduct
"the explanation was circuitous and puzzling"
"a roundabout paragraph"
"hear in a roundabout way that her ex-husband was marrying her best friend"
{adj: closed-captioned} broadcast with captions that are seen only on receivers having special equipment; can be provided for hard-of-hearing viewers
{adj: compassionate} showing or having compassion
"heard the soft and compassionate voices of women"
<-> uncompassionate
{adj: congressional} of or relating to congress
"congressional hearing"
{adj: crisp, sharp} (of something seen or heard) clearly defined
"a sharp photographic image"
"the sharp crack of a twig"
"the crisp snap of dry leaves underfoot"
{adj: deaf-and-dumb, deaf-mute} lacking the sense of hearing and the ability to speak
{adj: deafened} caused to hear poorly or not at all
{adj: deafening, earsplitting, roaring, thunderous, thundery} loud enough to cause (temporary) hearing loss
{adj: deaf} lacking or deprive of the sense of hearing wholly or in part
<-> hearing
{adj: discouraging} depriving of confidence or hope or enthusiasm and hence often deterring action
"where never is heard a discouraging word"
<-> encouraging
{adj: eldritch, weird, uncanny, unearthly} suggesting the operation of supernatural influences
"an eldritch screech"
"the three weird sisters"
"stumps...had uncanny shapes as of monstrous creatures"- John Galsworthy
"an unearthly light"
"he could hear the unearthly scream of some curlew piercing the din"- Henry Kingsley
{adj: embarrassing, mortifying} causing to feel shame or chagrin or vexation
"the embarrassing moment when she found her petticoat down around her ankles"
"it was mortifying to know he had heard every word"
{adj: glad} showing or causing joy and pleasure; especially made happy
"glad you are here"
"glad that they succeeded"
"gave a glad shout"
"a glad smile"
"heard the glad news"
"a glad occasion"
<-> sad
{adj: hard-of-hearing, hearing-impaired} having a hearing loss
{adj: heard} detected or perceived by the sense of hearing
"a conversation heard through the wall"
{adj: hearing} able to perceive sound
<-> deaf
{adj: hearsay} heard through another rather than directly
"hearsay information"
{adj: inaudible, unhearable} impossible to hear; imperceptible by the ear
"an inaudible conversation"
<-> audible
{adj: intact, whole} not impaired or diminished in any way
"emerged from the trial with his prestige intact"
"the blast left his hearing intact"
{adj: intelligible} well articulated or enunciated, and loud enough to be heard distinctly
"intelligible pronunciation"
<-> unintelligible
{adj: interested} having or showing interest; especially curiosity or fascination or concern
"an interested audience"
"interested in sports"
"was interested to hear about her family"
"interested in knowing who was on the telephone"
"interested spectators"
<-> uninterested
{adj: live, unrecorded} actually being performed at the time of hearing or viewing
"a live television program"
"brought to you live from Lincoln Center"
"live entertainment involves performers actually in the physical presence of a live audience"
<-> recorded
{adj: monaural} relating to or having or hearing with only one ear
"monaural deafness"
<-> binaural
{adj: nary} (used with singular count nouns) colloquial for `not a' or `not one' or `never a'
"heard nary a sound"
{adj: other} not the same one or ones already mentioned or implied
"today isn't any other day"- the White Queen
"the construction of highways and other public works"
"he asked for other employment"
"any other person would tell the truth"
"his other books are still in storage"
"then we looked at the other house"
"hearing was good in his other ear"
"the other sex"
"she lived on the other side of the street from me"
"went in the other direction"
<-> same
{adj: ototoxic} toxic to the organs of hearing or balance or to the auditory nerve
"some drugs are ototoxic"
{adj: perceivable} capable of being perceived especially by sight or hearing
"perceivable through the mist"
{adj: phantom} something apparently sensed but having no physical reality
"seemed to hear faint phantom bells"
"the amputee's illusion of a phantom limb"
{adj: profoundly deaf, stone-deaf, deaf as a post, unhearing} totally deaf; unable to hear anything
{adj: rending, ripping, splitting} resembling a sound of violent tearing as of something ripped apart or lightning splitting a tree
"the tree split with a great ripping sound"
"heard a rending roar as the crowd surged forward"
{adj: resonant, resonating, resounding, reverberating, reverberative, rolling} characterized by reverberation
"a resonant voice"
"hear the rolling thunder"
{adj: running} moving quickly on foot
"heard running footsteps behind him"
{adj: sharp-eared, quick-eared} having keen hearing
{adj: shouted, yelled} in a vehement outcry
"his shouted words of encouragement could be heard over the crowd noises"
{adj: strident, shrill} being sharply insistent on being heard
"strident demands"
"shrill criticism"
{adj: unappealable} not subject to appeal
"the judge's ruling was handed down in a preliminary hearing rather than a trial and was therefore unappealable"
<-> appealable
{adj: unheard} not necessarily inaudible but not heard
{adj: velvet, velvety, velvet-textured} smooth and soft to sight or hearing or touch or taste
{adj: wearable} suitable for wear or able to be worn
"wearable evening clothes"
"a wearable hearing aid"
<-> unwearable
{adv: barely, hardly, just, scarcely, scarce} by a small margin
"they could barely hear the speaker"
"we hardly knew them"
"just missed being hit"
"had scarcely rung the bell when the door flew open"
"would have scarce arrived before she would have found some excuse to leave"- W.B.Yeats
{adv: by word of mouth, viva voce} orally
"I heard it viva voce"
{adv: customarily} by custom; according to common practice
"children are customarily expected to be seen but not heard"
{adv: faintly} to a faint degree or weakly perceived
"between him and the dim light a form was outlined faintly"
"stars shining faintly through the overcast"
"could hear his distant shouts only faintly"
"the rumors weren't even faintly true"
{adv: firsthand} at first hand or directly
"I heard this story firsthand"
{adv: hysterically} in a hysterical manner
"she screamed hysterically when she heard the news"
{adv: loudly, loud, aloud} with relatively high volume
"the band played loudly"
"she spoke loudly and angrily"
"he spoke loud enough for those at the back of the room to hear him"
"cried aloud for help"
<-> softly
{adv: now} used to preface a command or reproof or request
"now hear this!"
"now pay attention"
{adv: secondhand} by indirect means
"I heard about it only secondhand or thirdhand"
"he prefers to buy secondhand"
{n: Beethoven, van Beethoven, Ludwig van Beethoven} German composer of instrumental music (especially symphonic and chamber music); continued to compose after he lost his hearing (1770-1827)
{n: Call} a special disposition (as if from a divine source) to pursue a particular course
"he was disappointed that he had not heard the Call"
{n: Father, Father-God, Fatherhood} God when considered as the first person in the Trinity
"hear our prayers, Heavenly Father"
{n: Gallaudet, Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet} United States educator who established the first free school in the United States for the hearing impaired (1787-1851)
{n: Gordian knot} an intricate knot tied by Gordius, the king of Phrygia, and cut by the sword of Alexander the Great after he heard that whoever undid it would become ruler of Asia
{n: Meniere's disease} a disease of the inner ear characterized by episodes of dizziness and tinnitus and progressive hearing loss (usually unilateral)
{n: Pacific tree toad, Hyla regilla} the most commonly heard frog on the Pacific coast of America
{n: Ramsay Hunt syndrome} syndrome resulting from infection by the herpes varicella zoster virus; characterized by vertigo and pain in the ears and facial nerve paralysis and sometimes hearing loss
{n: Siren} a sea nymph (part woman and part bird) supposed to lure sailors to destruction on the rocks where the nymphs lived
"Odysseus ordered his crew to plug their ears so they would not hear the Siren's fatal song"
{n: acoustic buoy} a buoy that can be heard (at night)
{n: acoustic} a remedy for hearing loss or deafness
{n: administrative hearing} a hearing that takes place outside the judicial process before hearing examiners who have been granted judicial authority specifically for the purpose of conducting such hearings
{n: appalling} an experience that appalls
"is it better to view the appalling or merely hear of it?"
{n: appeal board, appeals board, board of appeals} a board of officials that are not judicial but are appointed to hear appeals
{n: appearance, appearing, coming into court} formal attendance (in court or at a hearing) of a party in an action
{n: arbitration} (law) the hearing and determination of a dispute by an impartial referee agreed to by both parties (often used to settle disputes between labor and management)
{n: audiology, audiometry} the measurement of hearing
{n: audiometer, sonometer} an instrument used to measure the sensitivity of hearing
{n: audiometry} measuring sensitivity of hearing
{n: auditory aphasia, acoustic aphasia, word deafness} an impairment in understanding spoken language that is not attributable to hearing loss
{n: auditory apparatus} all of the components of the organ of hearing including the outer and middle and inner ears
{n: auditory communication} communication that relies on hearing
{n: auditory system} the sensory system for hearing
{n: background, background signal} extraneous signals that can be confused with the phenomenon to be observed or measured
"they got a bad connection and could hardly hear one another over the background signals"
{n: background} relatively unimportant or inconspicuous accompanying situation
"when the rain came he could hear the sound of thunder in the background"
{n: beat} the sound of stroke or blow
"he heard the beat of a drum"
{n: bell, toll} the sound of a bell being struck
"saved by the bell"
"she heard the distant toll of church bells"
{n: bill, measure} a statute in draft before it becomes law
"they held a public hearing on the bill"
{n: birdcall, call, birdsong, song} the characteristic sound produced by a bird
"a bird will not learn its song unless it hears it at an early age"
{n: burglar alarm} a loud warning signal produced by a burglar alarm
"they could hear the burglar alarm a mile away"
{n: call, phone call, telephone call} a telephone connection
"she reported several anonymous calls"
"he placed a phone call to London"
The results are stopped at 1000th line. 332 paragraphs, 1000 lines displayed. Top
(Alt+Z : Reinput words.) (You can doubleclick on the English words you are searching for.)