even [ 'i:vən] ad.甚至;甚至更,还
even [ 'i:vən] a.均匀的;平的
evening [ 'i:vniŋ] n.傍晚,黄昏,晚上
even [ 'i:vən] a.同一日期的
even if 即使,纵然
even now 即使在现在
on an even keel 平稳的(地),稳定的
even if/ though 即使,虽然
even then 即使那样,边...都
even if/ though
即使,虽然
even then
即使那样,边...都
even ['i:vən] ad. 甚至,连(…都),更
evening ['i:vniŋ] n. 傍晚,晚上
even [ 'i:vən] adj.平坦的 v.使平,使相等
even-tempered [ ] adj.性情平和的,不易生气的
强龙难压地头蛇 Even a dragon (from the outside) finds it hard to control a snake in its old haunt - Powerful outsiders can hardly afford to neglect local bullies.
一刀切 cut it even at one stroke--make it rigidly uniform; impose uniformity in all cases; allow no flexibility
Evening Bag 晚宴包
Evening Dress 晚装
all that 外貌完美无瑕的(人)
A: She's not all that. I don't even find her attractive.
A: 她并不是真的那么美啊! 我甚至不觉得她有什么吸引人的地方。
B: She likes to think she is.
B: 她觉得她自己是(长得完美无瑕)啊!
- 以前有一部美国电影叫作"She's All That"。英文片名的直译其实就是「她长得完美无瑕」的意思。
基本上, "all that"是一个年轻一辈的人比较会用的字眼。
sell-out 出卖人家的人
A: I can't believe Dan, the person I trusted so much turned out to be a complete sell-out.
A: 我无法相信 Dan, 这个我曾经这么信任的人竟然是个出卖我的人。
B: Man, I don't even know what to say. He really blew me away, too.
B: 唉, 我都不知道该说什么才好。 他也真是让我始料未及。
- 这里的"sell-out"是"selling a person out"的名词, 可以指「出卖人家的人」或是「出卖人的行为」。
上面的对话里, 还有另外一个我们之前也有看过的词语是"blow one away" (blew one away 的原在式)。
这里的"blow one away"应该可以翻作我们口语里面讲的「被打败的感觉」。
因为没有想到过对方会是那样子的人, 当事情发生了才有一种「怎么可能!」的震撼和惊讶。
其实"blow one away"也可以说是形容某人的表现太过优异, 令人在佩服之外感到十分的震撼。
Even one yuan is all right.
甚至一元也可以起存。
get even 报复
Evening College(夜大):正规学院的分支,主要供已参加工作的成人业余学习大学课程。
The last train this evening will be the service to … 今晚最后一列火车是到……
爱是春天有植物,用它的生机使一切散发出芬芳气息,即使是它所处身的废墟,也充满了希望。
Love is a springtime plant that perfumes everything with its hope, even the ruins to which it clings
男人喜欢追逐那些象弄湿了的香皂般令人难以捉摸的女人——哪怕是讨厌洗澡的男人。
Men like to pursue an elusive woman like a cake of wet soap——even men who hate baths.
强龙难压地头蛇
Even a dragon (from the outside) finds it hard to control a snake in its old haunt - Powerful outsiders can hardly afford to neglect local bullies.
evening dress 夜礼服
Evening College(夜大):正规学院的分支,主要供已参加工作的成人业余学习大学课程。
even if/though 即使,虽然
break-even analysis 盈亏平衡分析
break-even volume 盈亏平衡产量
evening peak 晚高峰
It is commonly accepted that no college or university can educate its students by the time they graduate.
人们普遍认为高校是不可能在毕业的时候教会他们的学生所有知识的。 45. Even the best possible graduate needs to continue learning before she or he becomes an educated person.
即使最优秀的毕业生,要想成为一个博学的人也要不断地学习。
From what has been discussed above, we may safely draw a conclusion that part-time job can produce a far-reaching impact on students and they should be encouraged to take part-time job, which will benefit students and their family, even the society as a whole.
通过上面的讨论,我们不难得出结论:业余工作对学生们会产生深远的影响,我们应鼓励学生从事业余工作,这将有利于学生和他们的家庭,甚至整个社会。
Moreover, children will have less time to play and communicate with their peers due to extra studies, consequently, it is difficult to develop and cultivate their character and interpersonal skills. They may become more solitary and even suffer from certain mental illness.
而且,由于要额外地学习,孩子们没有多少时间和同龄的孩子玩耍和交流,很难培养他们的个性和交际能力。他们可能变得孤僻甚至产生某些心理疾病。
Parents should be encouraged to send their children to nursery schools, which will bring about profound impacts on children and families, and even the society as a whole.
应该鼓励父母将他们的孩子送到幼儿园,这将对孩子,家庭,甚至整个社会产生深远的影响。
Those who are in favor of artistic and cultural projects advocate that cultural environment will attract more tourists, which will bring huge profits to local residents. Some people even equate the build of such projects with the improving of economic construction.
那些赞成建设文化艺术项目的人认为文化环境会吸引更多的游客,这将给当地居民带来巨大的利益。一些人甚至把建设文化艺术项目与发展经济建设等同起来。
Break-even analysis 损益两平分析
Break-even point 损益两平点
Even 公平的,偶数
even bargain 公平交易
even exchange 公平交换
I'll still love her even if she doesn't love me.
即使她不爱我,我还仍然爱她。
Even a child can answer this question.
即使小孩儿都能回答这个问题。
Nothing lasts forever--not even your troubles.
没有什么是永远的----你的困难也是这样。
The word, even the most contradictions word, preserves contact — it is silence which isolates.
话语,甚至最矛盾的话语也维持着人们的联系——是沉默使人们隔离。
Culture has one great passion — the passion for sweetness and light. It has one even yet greater, the passion for making them prevail.
教养有种强烈地对友善的渴望,还有一种甚至更强烈的渴望,即渴望使友善盛行。
Everybody who plays an instrument, even a little, understands music in a difficult way from somebody who has never felt the thrill of making music himself?
每个演奏乐器的人,哪怕只会一点点,理解音乐的方式都与从未感受过自己奏出音乐的激动的人不同。
Every scene, even the commonest, is wonderful, if only one can detach oneself, casting off all memory of use and custom and beholding it as if for the first times.
生活中的每个情景,甚至最普通的一幕,都是奇妙的——只要一个人能够离开自我,抛弃对习惯的全部记忆,就像第一次一样观察。
When I come home from work in the evenings, sometimes I am too tired to even turn on the television.
我晚上下班回家,有时累得连电视也不想打开。
We'll go tomorrow even if it rains.
即使下雨, 我们明天也去。
Even if she's poor, at least she is honest.
虽说她穷, 至少她是诚实的。
Even though it's hard work, I enjoy it.
虽然工作辛苦, 我却喜欢这工作。
Even though he is hardworking, there is never enough money to pay the bills.
尽管工作努力, 他总是入不敷出。
He raised his voice to an even higher pitch.
他的声音提得更高了。
Even if he encounters a tiger his thinking ability usually enables him to kill the animal successfully.
即使他遭遇一只老虎,他的智力通常也能使他成功地把它杀死。
His leaving underlined his negative attitude toward the evening party.
他的离席说明他不喜欢这个晚会。
The master conceded 10 points to me at the start of the game, but, even so, he beat me.
比赛开始时,那位大师让了我十个点,可即使这样,我还是输了。
The young boy took all the credit for drawing the picture even though his teacher had done most of the work.
小男孩因画了这幅画而受到了许许多多的赞扬,尽管这画多半是他老师画的。
Her apparent lack of care made him even more nervous.
她表面冷漠,这使他越发紧张不安。
Permit me to inform you that you are invited to the evening party.
请允许我通知你,你被邀请参加晚会。
Heart surgery is much more common these days than it was even ten years ago.
现在心脏手术比10年前更为常见了。
Even the repairman couldn't figure out what had gone wrong with the washer.
连修理工也弄不明白这洗衣机出什么毛病。
The government refused to change its policy even under pressure from the United States.
即使在美国的压力下, 政府也拒绝改变政策。
He’s naturally funny; he doesn’t even have to try.
他天生有表演才能 ,根本用不着刻意做作。
There are many spelling mistakes; even so, it’s quite a good essay.
虽然有很多拼写错误,但它仍不失为一篇相当不错的文章。
I had a terrible headache, but, even so, I went to the concert.
我头痛得厉害,但我还是去欣赏了音乐会。
John did not even stir from his seat when his mother called him.
约翰的母亲叫他时,他竟坐着动也没动。
even-tempered 性情平和的
mild-tempered 温和的
hot- / quick- / short-tempered 脾气急躁的
sweet-tempered 性情温柔的
moody-tempered 喜怒无常的
good-tempered 好脾气的
bad- / ill-tempered 坏脾气的
Dust accumulates quickly, even if you clean the house every few days.
即使你每隔几天打扫一次房子,还是很快就会积灰。
The interview will be broadcast during prime time, at seven o’clock in the evening.
该访谈将在晚上七点的黄金时间播出。
I’ll talk to you tomorrow; in the meantime have a good evening.
我明天和你谈;同时,祝你晚安。
Our manager can’t even afford a two-week holiday.
我们的经理连两周的假期都抽不出来。
We are going to have an evening party on his estate.
我们在他的庄园举行晚会。
The wounded soldier was so weak that he could hardly take in even liquid.
这名受伤的战士身体太弱,甚至不能喝流体食物。
Cancer may soon be detected in its earliest stages — even before cells begin to appear abnormal.
要不了多久,癌症也许就能在最早期被发现——甚至在细胞开始显得不正常之前。
Stand the table on even ground, so that the top is horizontal.
将桌子放在平地上,这样桌面就平了。
You need to go on taking basic fire safety precautions even when smoke alarms are fitted in your home.
即使在您的家中安装了烟雾报警器,您还是需要继续采取基本的防火安全措施。
It was a gentleman's duty to be always polite, even to his inferiors.
绅士理应有礼貌,即使是对比自己地位低的人。
He can’t even take time to visit his wife in hospital.
他甚至抽不出空去医院看他妻子。
Good morning / afternoon / evening!
早晨(下午/晚上)好!
How will you spend the evening?
你晚上干什么?
Even if you take the exam again, you won't pass it.
就算再考一次你也通不过。
Even if you had given him much more money, he might not have paid off the debt.
就算你给了他更多的钱,他也还不清债务。
I once took a part-time job delivering the Evening Post.
我曾干过送晚报的兼职。
I expect to be there this evening. 我打算今天晚上到那儿去。
Will you be free tomorrow evening? 你明晚有空吗?
He is tough, but I am even tougher. 他是一个硬汉子,不过我要比他更硬。
Even a child can answer this question.即使小孩儿都能回答这个问题。
I haven't even touched your tooth yet. 我还没有碰到你的牙齿呢。
I'll still love her even if she doesn't love me.即使她不爱我,我还仍然爱她。
All my best memories come back clearly to me, some can even make me cry.所有美好的记忆又在我脑海清晰地浮现了,有些甚至还令我哭泣。
Mathematicians who have tried to use the computers to copy the way the brain works have found that even using the latest electronic equipment they would have to build a computer which weighed over 10,000 kilos.
使用计算机来拷贝大脑工作方式的数学家们发现即使使用最先进的电子设备,他们也要建造一台超过10,000公斤的计算机。
Even the folk knowledge in social systems on which ordinary life is based in earning, spending, organizing, marrying, taking part in political activities, fighting and so on , is not very dissimilar from the more sophisticated images of the social system derived from the social sciences, even though it is built upon the very imperfect samples of personal experience.
即使社会系统的民间知识中像挣钱,花费,组织,婚嫁,政治活动的参与,以及战斗等等,都与从社会科学中衍生出来更加精细的社会系统描述相差不多,尽管它是建立在一个不太完善的个人经验上的模型。
Even the doctoral degree, long recognized as a required “ union card” in the academic world, has come under severe criticism as the pursuit of learning for its own sake and the accumulation of knowledge without immediate application to a professor’s classroom duties.
即使是学术界被长时间认作必须“同盟卡”的博士学位,现在也因为仅仅为了学习本身和知识的累积而学习,却不把知识应用到教授的教学职责中去而受到了严厉的批评。
Articles in the popular press even criticize the Gross National Production (GNP) because it is not such a complete index of welfare, ignoring, on the one hand, that it was never intended to be, and suggesting, on the other, that with appropriate changes it could be converted into one.
流行期刊中甚至有文章批评国民生产总值,因为它并不是一个福利目录,一方面忽视了它从来就没有这种倾向,另一方面的建议是通过正确的改变它才能被转化过来。
Some even argue plausibly that this weakness may be irremediable : in any society that, like a capitalist society, seeks to become ever wealthier in material terms disproportionate rewards are bound to flow to the people who are instrumental in producing the increase in its wealth.
有些人甚至看似事理地认为这一弱点无可补救:在任何一个在物质财富方面追求更加富裕的社会中,比如说资本主义社会,比例不均衡的回报肯定要流向那些在创造财富增长的过程中提供设备的人。
But do not the challenge and the excitement of the critical problem as such lie in that ambivalence of attitude which allows us to recognize the intelligence and even the splendor of Meredith’s work, while, at the same time, we experience a lack of sympathy, a failure of any enthusiasm of response?
但是难道这不是关键问题的挑战和刺激而就其本身而言是存在于矛盾的态度里面。这样的态度让我们认识到Meredith’s作品中智慧和卓越,然而与此同时,我们有了缺乏同情和不能有任何热情反应的经历。
Roseenblatt’s thematic analysis permits considerable objectivity; he even explicitly states that it is not his intention to judge the merit of the various works—yet his reluctance seems misplaced, especially since an attempt to appraise might have led to interesting results.
Roseenblatt的主题分析非常有客观性,他甚至明确地说他并不愿判断各种作品的价值—但他的说法似乎有些不对头,特别是有时赞美的尝试可能产生有趣的结果。
The trouble is that it is extremely difficult to be sure about radiation damage –--a person may feel perfectly well, but the cells of his or her sex organs may be damaged, and this will not be discovered until the birth of deformed children or even grandchildren.
问题是很难明确辐射的伤害—一个人可能感觉良好,但他(她)的性器官细胞可能受到损伤,而且有些直到生下畸形儿甚至是畸形孙儿才会被发现。
In the case of man, the difficulties with the environment concept are even more complicated because we have to deal with man as an animal and with man as a bearer of culture.
对于人类来说,环境概念的问题更加复杂。因为我们不得不把人类当为动物,又不得不把人当为文化的持有者来对待。
I would keep putting my dream to the test-even though it meant living with uncertainty and fear of failure.
我要不断地将梦想付诸实际的测试—尽管这意味着不确定和对失败的恐惧。
You should keep calm even in face of danger.
即使面临危险,你也应当保持镇静。
Even when you argue, you should try to keep cool.
即使在争辩时,你也要尽力保持冷静。
She wears a beautiful evening dress.
她穿着一件漂亮的晚礼服。
He won the first game and I won the second, so now we are even.
他赢了第一局,我赢了第二局,所以我们现在打平。
John doesn't go out even in the summer.
约翰甚至在夏天也不出门。
He looked happy, even gay.
他看起来很高兴,甚至可以说欢欣雀跃。
Could you come back home early this evening?
今天晚上你能早回家吗?
He doesn't mind. In fact, he is even pleased.
他不介意,事实上,他甚至很高兴。
The evening sky flamed with red and orange.
傍晚天空的颜色是一片火红和橘黄相间。
She wore a black silk evening gown.
她穿着一件黑色丝质晚礼服。
My mother usually cooks a hot meal in the evening.
我妈妈通常在晚上煮一顿热饭。
We have subscribed to an evening newspaper.
我们已经订阅了一份晚报。
Father sits in the same chair every evening.
父亲每晚都坐在同一张椅子上,
One evening the school showed a cowboy film.
有天晚上学校放映了一部西部片。
Her smile makes her even more beautiful.
她的微笑使她更美丽了。
别装腔作势。
Don't play hard to get. *play hard to get一般多用在男女之间。特别是指女性为了吸引男性而使对方着急、故弄玄虚的行为。
She wouldn't even talk to me. (她连话都不跟我说。)
She's playing hard to get. (她只是在吊你的胃口。)
Don't be a tease.
Don't play games.
Don't pretend you don't want me.
连喘口气的工夫都没有。
I don't even have time to catch my breath.
How's work? (工作怎么样?)
I don't even have time to catch my breath. (连喘口气的工夫都没有。)
I don't have time to breathe.
晚上好!
Good evening.
我们得反击。
We've got to get even. *get even “回击,报复”。
We have to get him back.
我要报复。
I want to get even with him.
I'll pay him back. (这个仇我一定得报。)
We do business on a commission basis. A commission on your prices would make it easier for us to promote sales. Even 2 or 3 percent would help.
我们是通过取得佣金来进行商业活动的。从你方价格中收取佣金,便于我方推销。即便只有2%或3%也行。
Evening red and morning grey are the sign of a fine day.
晚霞行千里。
Even woods have ears.
隔墙有耳。
An evening red and a morning grey, is a sign of a fair day.
晚霞红如火,晓色青如灰,定是晴朗天。
An hour in the morning is worth two in the evening.
一日之计在于晨。
Before gold, even kings take off their hats.
有钱能使鬼推磨。
Even Homer sometimes nods.
人非圣贤,孰能无过。
Even the walls have ears.
隔墙有耳。
I fear the Greeks, even when bringing gifts.
敌人献礼品,千万莫轻信。
If you remove stone by stone, even a mountain will be levelled.
一块一块把石移,高山也可变平地。
In the evening one may praise the day.
入夜方能赞美白昼。
Money can move even the gods.
有钱能使鬼推磨。
The morning to the mountain the evening to the fountain.
凡是都有一定时间。
Quality is even more important than quantity.
质量比数量更为重要。
A Are you free to meet tomorrow tonight?
A 你明晚有时间见面吗?
B I’m afraid not. I work in a restaurant in the evenings.
B 恐怕没有。晚上我在餐馆工作。
A Every evening Surely you have some evenings free.
A 每天晚上吗?总有几个晚上你有空吧。
B Yes, of course I do. I’ve got two nights off each week.
B 是的,当然了。我每周有两个晚上不用上班。
A But not tomorrow night . . . when are you next free?
A 但是明天晚上不行. . .你下次什么时候有空?
B I’m free the day after tomorrow. We could meet Thursday evening.
B 我后天有空。我们可以在周四晚上见面。
A Extra money is always helpful.
A 额外挣的钱总是很有帮助。
B I know. That’s why I do evening job in the hotel restaurant.
B 我知道。这就是我为什么晚上在旅馆的餐馆打工的原因。
A If you are studying, it’s good to earn some extra income.
A 如果你在读书,额外有些收入很好。
B I agree. It’s only a part-time job at the hotel but it pays well.
B 我同意。虽然只是在旅馆里兼职,但是报酬很高。
A Well, life is expensive!? We all need money.
A 哦,生活消费很高!我们都需要钱。
B You can say that again!? The money helps me with my studying so it’s important for me to earn as much as I can.
B 太同意你的看法了!钱对我的学习有帮助,所以尽可能多地挣些钱对我很重要。
A Hi! How was your weekend?
A 你好!周末过得怎么样?
B Oh, busy, busy. I had a very busy weekend.
B 噢,忙,忙。我度过了一个忙碌的周末。
A How come? What did you do?
A 怎么回事?你做了什么?
B Well, I finished work late on Friday evening and had to meet some friends for dinner, so I got home late. Then Saturday was busy too.
B 哦,我周五很晚才结束工作,还得去和几个朋友见面吃饭,所以我很晚才回家。接着周六也非常忙。
A Why? What happened on Saturday?
A 为什么?周六发生了什么事?
B On Saturday, I had to meet friends at the airport, then take them to their hotel. Then I had to go shopping and go out again in the evening. And Sunday was just as busy.
B 周六,我得去机场接朋友,然后把他们送到酒店。然后我得去购物,晚上又出去了。周日也一样忙碌。
A Are you coming on Thursday evening?
A 周四晚上你来吗?
B Where?
B 去哪里?
A There’s a party at the Gallery on Thursday evening. It’s the opening night of a new exhibition.
A 周四晚上在艺术展览馆有一个晚会。这是一个新展览的开幕之夜。
B But I don’t have an invitation. Do you have one?
B 但是我没有请柬。你有吗?
A Yes, I’ve got one. You can come with me. It will be exciting, with lots of interesting people. And the exhibition will be good too.
A 是的,我有。你可以和我一起去。晚会将会很热闹,有很多有趣的人。展览也会很棒。
B It sounds good. But I’m not sure. Maybe I should go with you.
B 听起来不错。但是我不太确定。也许我应该和你一起去。
A Let’s go out this evening. The weather is beautiful.
A 咱们今晚出去。天气太好了。
B OK. Where would you like to go?
B 好的。你想去哪里?
A Let’s check out some of the bars around Houhai.
A 咱们到后海周围的酒吧转转。
B That would be nice. We can try some of the lakeside and rooftop bars.
B 那会很有意思。我们可以到那些湖边和屋顶酒吧看看。
A Yes, some of them have fantastic views.
A 好的,在其中的几家看风景视野特别好。
B We can just stroll around and try a few places.
B 我们就到那里转转,去一些地方看看。
A That was a good dinner. Time to go home now.
A 晚餐很好。现在该回家了。
B Home? But it’s still early evening! We should go to a disco.
B 回家?但是现在还不是很晚!我们应该去跳迪斯科。
A I’m too tired of a disco. Do you really want to go to one?
A 我太累了,跳不动迪斯科了。你确实非常想去吗?
B Yes, why not? There’s a disco in the club at the hotel.
B 是的,为什么不呢?在旅馆的夜总会里有一个迪斯科舞厅。
A Yes, and it’s noisy and expensive and I’m too tired. Maybe another night.
A 是的,那里很吵闹,东西又贵,而且我还太累了。也许改天晚上吧。
B OK, OK. Maybe another night. But we should go sometime.
B 好,好。也许改天晚上吧。但是我们将来应该去。
A Hi! Jump in. Let’s go.
A 嗨!上车。咱们走吧。
B Thanks for picking me up.
B 谢谢你来接我。
A No problem. We’ll get there quicker by car. Oh, remember – always fasten your seat belt.
A 不客气。坐车去我们将快点到达那里。噢,记住——永远要系上安全带。
B Yes, don’t worry. I always have it on, even in taxis.
B 是的,不必担心。我总是把安全带系上,即使在出租车里也一样。
A Well, it’s better to be safe.
A 哦,安全比较重要。
B I know. Better safe than sorry, as they say.
B 我知道。就像人们说的,防患于未然。
A Hello, Neil. When do you want to meet?
A 你好,尼尔!你想什么时候见面?
B Let's meet at quarter to seven this evening.
B 咱们今晚差一刻七点见。
A 6:45 this evening. Fine. At the theatre?
A 今晚6:45。好的。在剧院见面吗?
B Yes, we'll have time for a drink and a chat.
B 是的。我们将有时间喝一杯,聊一聊。
A When does the performance begin?
A 演出什么时候开始?
B At 7:45. So we'll have a full hour before it begins.
B 7:45 开始。所以在开演前我们有整整一个小时的时间。
A I'd like to talk to you about an idea I've got.
A 我想和你谈谈我的想法。
B OK, that sounds interesting. When would you like to meet?
B 好啊,听起来很有趣。你想什么时候见面?
A Tomorrow some time? When are you free? What's best for you?
A 明天的某个时间怎样?你什么时候有空?什么时间对你最合适?
B I'm busy in the morning, but we could meet late afternoon or early evening.
B 我上午很忙,但是我们可以在下午晚些时候或者晚上早些时候见面。
A Late afternoon would suit me. I can do any time after 3.
A 下午晚些时候对我合适。下午3点以后我都行。
B Fine. How about 4:30?
B 好。4点半怎么样?
A Good evening, madam. Can I help you?
A 晚上好,女士。您需要什么?
B Hello. I have a reservation for four nights.
B 你好。 我预订了四个晚上。
A And your name is . . .
A 您的名字是 . . . ?
B Mrs Baker. Mrs Jenny Baker.
B 贝克夫人,詹妮·贝克夫人。
A Ah, yes. Mrs Baker. You're on the fourth floor. Someone will show you up in a moment. Can I have your passport, please?
A 啊,是的。贝克夫人。您的房间在四楼。过一会将有人带您上楼。我能看一下您的护照吗?
B Thank you very much. Here’s my passport.
B 非常感谢你。这是我的护照。
A I hear The Golden Palace restaurant is very good.
A 我听说金王宫饭店非常好。
B Yes, it's excellent. You should try it. The food is very good.
B 是的,非常棒。你应该去那里看看。菜做得非常好。
A Shall we go there this evening?
A 我们今晚去那里好吗?
B Good idea. It's a small restaurant. ?It's best to reserve a table.
B 好主意。那是一家小餐馆,最好先预订一张桌。
A OK. I'll phone and book now.
A 好,我现在就打电话预订。
B If it's full, we can try tomorrow evening.
B 如果餐馆满员,我们可以明天晚上去。
A Are you busy this evening?
A 你今晚很忙吗?
B No, I'm not. Why do you ask?
B 不,不忙。为什么这样问?
A Well, we've booked three seats at the China Opera and my daughter can't go.
A 哦,我们在中国歌剧院预订了三个座位,但是我女儿来不了了。
B I'd love to go! I've never been to the China Opera. Thank you.
B 我很愿意去!我还从没有去过中国歌剧院。谢谢你。
A You're welcome. My husband and I will meet you at the Opera House at 6:30.
A 不客气。6点半我丈夫和我将在歌剧院等你。
B This is a real treat!
B 这真是一个好事!
A Can I help you, sir?
A 先生,您需要什么?
B I'd like to book a return flight to Shanghai this weekend.
B 我想订一张周末往返上海的机票。
A And when would you like to travel?
A 您想什么时间走?
B I'd like to leave Friday evening. Anytime after five o’clock.
B 我想在周五晚上走。5点以后的任何时间都可以。
A Certainly. And the return flight?
A 当然。返程呢?
B I'd like to return Sunday evening or early Monday morning.
B 我想周日晚上或者周一早晨返回。
A Are you free to meet tomorrow tonight?
A 明晚有时间见面吗?
B I’m afraid not. I work in a restaurant at the weekends.
B 恐怕不行。我周末在一家餐馆上班。
A Every weekend? Surely you have some time free.
A 每个周末吗?你一定会有些空闲的时间的。
B Yes, of course I do. I’ve got one weekend off every month
B 是的,我当然有。我每个月有一个周末不用上班。
A OK, when are you next free?
A 好,你下次休班是什么时候?
B I’m free next weekend. We could meet saturday evening.
B 我下周末休息。我们可以在周六晚上见面。
A It’s always good to earn something extra.
A 额外挣些钱总是好的。
B I know. That’s why I do the weekend job in the restaurant.
B 我知道。这也是我为什么周某在餐馆打工的原因。
A If you are studying, it’s good to earn some extra income. Even from part-time work.
A 如果你在上学,额外有些收入很好。即使是做兼职工作也好。
B I agree. It’s not a full-time job but it pays well.
B 我同意。这虽然是一份兼职工作,但是报酬不低。
A Well, living is expensive these days. Everything helps.
A 哦,现在生活消费很高。干点什么都有用。
B Yes, the extra money helps me with my studying so it’s important for me to earn as much as I can.
B 是的,额外挣的钱对我的学习有帮助,所以我尽可能多挣一些,这对我很重要。
A So where do you work Gao?
A 那么高你在哪里上班?
B I work for a computer company, in the IT department.
B 我在一家电脑公司上班,我在IT 部工作。
A Must be quite interesting. So how do you know Li?
A 那一定是非常有趣的 工作。那么你是怎么认识李的呢?
B Well, he works in another department in the same company. But we’re old friends anyway.
B 哦,他在同一家公司的另一个部门工作。但是我们是老朋友了。
A It’s a small world! Even in a big city like Beijing.
A 这是一个小世界。即使在像北京这样的大城市里也如此。
A I’m afraid I have to go. I’ve got an early start tomorrow.
A 我恐怕得走了。我明天早晨得早起。
B Don’t worry. Anyway, it’s been good to see you again. Are you free tomorrow?
B 别担心。不管怎么说,很高兴再次见到你。你明天有空吗?
A Tomorrow? I might be. What time?
A 明天?我可能有空。什么时候?
B How about early evening, just after work? Around six – for dinner.
B 晚上一下班的时候如何?大约6点左右吃晚饭。
A I think that should be fine.
A 我想应该可以。
B Or lunchtime, if that’s easier for you. I’m free either time.
B 或者一起吃午饭,如果对你更方便的话。我两个时间都有空。
A Early evening is best. Shall we say six – in the hotel lobby?
A 傍晚的时候最好。我们6点在旅馆大厅见面好吗?
A Did you watch that concert on television last night? Did you see that singer?
A 你昨晚看电视上的音乐会了吗?你看到那个歌手了吗?
B About 9 in the evening?
B 大约晚上9点的音乐会?
A Yes, that one. She was so good. I really liked her songs, and her voice.
A 是的,就是那场音乐会。她唱得非常好。我喜欢她的歌以及她的声音。
B You should buy her CD. You can find it easily in the shops.
B 你应该买她的CD。在商店里很容易找到。
A Good idea. Is she from Beijing or Shanghai?
A 好主意。她是北京人还是上海人?
B No, she’s from Guangzhou. She’s a Cantonese singer. She’s incredibly popular now in China.
B 都不是,她是广东人。她是一名广东歌手。她在中国非常受欢迎。
A Hi! How was your weekend?
A 你好!你周末过得怎样?
B It was good. I had a very busy weekend.
B 不错。我过了一个繁忙的周末。
A What did you do?
A 你都做了什么?
B Well, I finished work very late on Friday evening so I got home late. Then I had to work on Saturday morning too.
B 哦,我周五晚上很晚才把活干完,所以到家就很晚了。我周六上午还要上班。
A What did you do after that?
A 然后你做什么了?
B On Saturday afternoon I went shopping and then in the evening I went out for dinner with friends. On Sunday I had a rest.
B 周六下午我购物去了,晚上我跟朋友出去吃饭了。周日我休息了。
A Let’s go out tonight. It’s a really nice evening.
A 咱们今晚出去。这真是一个怡人的夜晚。
B OK. Where would you like to go?
B 好的。你想去哪里?
A Somewhere different. Let’s check out some of the bars around Haidan.
A 某个与众不同的地方。咱们到后海一带的酒吧转转。
B Good idea. It’s a student area, so there’s lots of interesting bars and clubs.
B 好主意。那是一个学生活动的地方,所以有很多有趣的酒吧和俱乐部。
A Yes, I think it would be good to have a look around.
A 是的,我想去转转一定很有意思。
B I’m sure we’ll find some good places.
B 我肯定我们将找到一些好地方。
A I’ve got a suggestion. Why not have dinner at Houhai – on the lake?
A 我有一个提议。我们为什么不在后海就餐呢?在湖上?
B That sounds a great idea. A boat trip on the lake.
B 听起来是一个非常棒的主意。在湖上乘船游览。
A We could try it this evening. We could take a boat on the lake and have dinner.
A 今晚我们就可以去。我们可以在湖上泛舟,就餐。
B Dinner on the boat? I like that – let’s do it.
B 在船上就餐?我喜欢这个主意——就这么办了。
A OK – I’ll telephone and book it. I’ve got the number. How about 7 o’clock?
A 好——我现在就打电话预订。我有那里的电话号码。今晚7点怎么样?
B Perfect. I’m really looking forward to it.
B 好极了。我热切期待着今晚的到来。
A That was a good evening. I’m ready to go home now.
A 这是个愉快的夜晚。我现在准备回家了。
B Home? But it’s still early. We could go to a club.
B 回家?但是现在还很早啊。我们可以去一个俱乐部玩玩。
A I’m too tired to go out. Do you really want to go?
A 我太累了,不能出去了。你确实非常想去吗?
B Yes, why not? There’s a good club at the hotel.
B 是的,为什么不呢?在旅馆有一家很不错的俱乐部。
A No - it’s too noisy and expensive and I’m too tired. Maybe another night.
A 不——那里太吵了,也太贵了,再说我也太累了。也许改天晚上吧。
B OK, OK. Maybe another night. But we should go sometime.
B 好,好。也许改天晚上。但是我们将来有时间应该去看看。
A Are you coming on Friday evening to the art gallery?
A 周五晚上你去艺术展览馆吗?
B To the new exhibition? I’m not sure.
B 去看新展览?我还不确定。
A There’s a party at the gallery. It’s the opening night of the new exhibition.
A 在展览馆有个晚会。这是新展览的开幕之夜。
B Do you have an invitation?
B 你有邀请函吗?
A Yes, I’ve got one. You can come with me. It will be exciting, with lots of interesting people. And the exhibition will be good too.
A 是的,我有。你可以跟我一起去。晚会可能很热闹,有很多有趣的人参加。而且展出也会很不错。
B Thanks – that would be great.
B 谢谢——那太好了。
A Let’s go and visit the Summer Palace this weekend.
A 咱们这周末去参观颐和园。
B That sounds a great idea. Especially if the weather is good.
B 听起来是个好主意。如果天气好的话就更好了。
A Yes, we can go for a walk around the lake, maybe even a boat trip.
A 是的,我们可以绕着湖边散步,也许还可以在湖上泛舟。
B Is it far? Is it easy to get to?
B 远吗?很容易到达那里吗?
A No, it’s not far. It’s about 20 minutes in a taxi. It’s north-west of the city.
A 不,不太远。乘出租车去大约需要20分钟。颐和园在北京的西北部。
B I’ll look forward to that. Let’s go early on Saturday morning.
B 我期待着去那里。咱们周六上午早点去吧。
A Why don’t you come for a drink tomorrow evening after work?
A 你明天下班后来喝一杯怎么样?
B Thanks, but I won’t have time. I’m working late tomorrow.
B 谢谢,但是我没有时间。我明天要工作到很晚。
A Surely you’re not working too late. You’ll have time.
A 你当然不要工作到太晚。你会有时间的。
B I’m not sure when I’ll finish. I’ll be tired by the evening.
B 我不能肯定我什么时候会把工作干完。到晚上的时候我会很累的。
A OK, I understand. But if you finish early, you could come.
A 好吧,我理解。但是如果你早点结束的话,你要来啊。
B OK. Maybe I will come. I’ll see how I feel when I finish work.
B 好的。也许我会来的。这要看我干完后感觉如何。
A When you finish work, give me a quick call.
A 当你干完工作后,给我打个电话。
B OK, if I finish early, I’ll call you.
B 好的,如果我早点干完,我就给你打电话。
A Then we can fix up where and when to meet.
A 然后我们定在哪里在什么时候碰头。
B I won’t finish work before 8 in the evening. Tomorrow will be a long day.
B 晚上8点之前我是不会干完的。明天将是漫长的一天。
A I know, but if you are not tired we can still meet.
A 我知道。但是如果你不是太累的话我们一定要见面。
B Don’t worry. I’ve got your number. I’ll call you at 8.
B 别担心。我有你的电话号码。我8点给你打电话。
A We’ll have a very busy day tomorrow – lots to see and do.
A 我们明天将非常忙碌——很多要看的东西,很多要做的事情。
B I know. I think I’ll have an early night and get a good sleep.
B 我知道。我想我要早点睡,好好睡一觉。
A I’ll pick you up outside the hotel at around 8, then we’ll go to the Great Wall.
A 8点左右我将在旅馆外面接你,然后我们去长城。
B Eight o’clock? I’ll have an early breakfast then.
B 8点?那我要早点吃早餐了。
A Yes, good idea. We’ll have lunch about 12 mid-day.
A 是的,好主意。我们大约在中午12点吃午饭。
B So we will get back to the hotel late afternoon, early evening.
B 那么我们将在下午晚些时候回旅馆了,傍晚的时候。
A I’ll see you tomorrow at the hotel. Have a good evening.
A 我明天将到旅馆看你。祝你晚上愉快。
B Thanks. What time will you come tomorrow?
B 谢谢。你明天什么时候来?
A How about just before 10? I won’t be late.
A 10点前怎么样?我不会去太晚的。
B Where shall I meet you? In the coffee shop?
B 我们在哪里见面好呢?在咖啡厅吗?
A Yes, that’s fine. After that, we’ll go and visit some markets.
A 好,可以。见面后,我们去逛逛市场。
B Good! I’m going to buy a lot of presents to take home.
B 好啊!我将买很多礼物带回家。
A Let’s meet this evening around 6.
A 咱们今晚6点左右见。
B OK. I might be a little late, depending on the traffic.
B 好。我可能会晚到一会,这要看交通情况。
A No problem. Call me if you are late. Have you got my number?
A 没关系。如果你迟到的话,给我打电话。你有我的电话号码吗?
B No. Can you give me it?
B 没有。你能给我你的电话号码吗?
A It’s one – three – one – double eight – two – double one – zero – nine.
A 我的号码是1-3-1-8-8-2-1-1-0-9。
B 1318821109. I’ve got it. Thanks.
B 1318821109. 我记住了。谢谢。
Remember you can use Let’s . . . / Let’s . . . when you make a suggestion, eg: Let’s meet this evening around 6 / Let’s meet this evening around 6.
记住你可以用Let’s . . . / 让我们 . . .来提出建议。例如:Let’s meet this evening around 6 / 咱们今晚6点左右见。
A Call me this evening when you arrive at the hotel.
A 今晚你到旅馆后给我打电话。
B Will you be there?
B 你会在旅馆吗?
A Yes, I’ll just wait for you in my room.
A 是的,我会在我的房间里等你。
B OK. I’ll call up from the lobby when I arrive. What’s your room number?
B 好的。我到旅馆大堂后给你打电话。你的房间号是多少?
A My room number is 1336. One-double three-six.
A 我的房间号是1336. 1-3-3-6。
B One-double three-six. OK, see you later this evening. I’ll try and make it for 7 0’clock.
B 1-3-3-6。好的,今晚见。我将争取7点到。
A Let’s go to the Cantonese restaurant in the hotel this evening.
A 咱们今晚去旅馆的广东餐厅去用餐。
B That’s a very good restaurant. Maybe we should book a table.
B 那是一家非常好的餐厅。也许我们应该先预定位子。
A Yes – it’s sometimes very busy and we can make sure we get a good table.
A 是的-那家餐厅有时非常拥挤,预订的话我们可以确保有个好的位子。
B OK, we’ll phone and reserve a table. Do you know the number?
B 好的,我们打电话预订位子。你知道电话号码吗?
A Yes. The phone number is 7966 7889.
A 是的,号码是7966 7889。
B Seven – nine – double six. Seven – double eight – nine.
B 7-9-两个6, 7-两个8-9。
You can use the word back / back in various ways when you talk about coming and going to places, eg: I’ll go back to London with her / I’ll go back to London with her. eg: I’ll be back in Beijing soon / I’ll be back in Beijing soon. eg: I will come back to the hotel this evening / I will come back to the hotel this evening.
当你谈论来去某地时可以用back /回来这个词。例如:I’ll go back to London with her / 我将和她一起回伦敦。 eg: I’ll be back in Beijing soon /我将很快回北京。I will come back to the hotel this evening /我今晚将回旅馆。
You can talk about the size of crowds by using hundreds / hundreds or thousands / thousands (or even millions / millions) eg: There will be thousands watching the race / There will be thousands watching the race; Millions will watch it on TV / Millions will watch it on TV.
你可以用hundreds / 数百, 或者thousands / 数千 (或者甚至 millions /数百万) ,来谈论人数之多。例如: There will be thousands watching the race /将有数千人观看比赛。Millions will watch it on TV /数百万人通过电视观看比赛。
If you keep a day, or an evening, or some time free for something, you can say I’ve kept the 18th free / I’ve kept the 18th free : I’m keeping the weekend free / I’m keeping the weekend free.
如果你要把某天或者某个晚上或者某段时间空出来做某事,你可以说I’ve kept the 18th free / 我已经把18日空出来了。I’m keeping the weekend free /我将把周末空出来。
A What’s a good time for you to meet this evening?
A 今晚什么时候见面对你合适?
B How about six forty-five?
B 6点45怎么样?
A 6.45 this evening. Fine. At the hotel?
A 今晚6点45,好的。在旅馆吗?
B Yes, we'll have time for a drink and a chat before dinner.
B 是的,在晚餐前我们将有时间喝一杯,聊一聊。
A When do we have to be at the restaurant?
A 我们什么时候必须到餐馆?
B At 7.45. So we've got plenty of time.
B 7点45。所以我们有足够的时间。
If you make an arrangement to meet, you often specify an exact time, eg: Let's meet at six forty-five this evening. / Let's meet at six forty-five this evening.
如果你要安排与人见面,你经常要指出确切的时间。例如:Let's meet at six forty-five this evening. /咱们今晚6点45见。
GREETINGS 问候语
Hello 你好!
Good morning 早上好!
Good afternoon 下午好!
Good evening 晚上好!
Hi! 你好!
How are you? 你身体好吗?
Fine, thanks. 好,谢谢!
Thank you. 谢谢你!
And you? 你呢?
How about dinner tonight?
今天晚饭有什么安排?
I don’t know. I’ve got nothing planned.
我不知道。我还没有任何计划。
Well, I know a nice restaurant. A Mongolian hot pot restaurant.
恩,我知道一家非常好的餐馆。一家蒙古火锅。
That sounds exciting.
听起来不错。
Would you like to go?
你想去吗?
Yes, I’d love to.
是的, 我想去。
Good. Let’s meet at 6:30 this evening.
好。今晚6.30见。
I can pick you up at the hotel at 9 in the morning.
我上午9点可以到饭店去接你。
Would you like to come to the Thai restaurant with us?
你愿意和我们一起去泰国餐馆吗?
Yes, I’d love to. When are you going?
是的,我愿意。你们什么时候去?
We are thinking about Wednesday evening. Are you free then?
我们正在考虑周三晚上去。你到时有空吗?
Wednesday evening sounds good to me. I’m free.
周三晚上对我合适。我有空。
Good. Shall we meet about 6?
好。咱们6点见面好吗?
Yes, that’s perfect.
好的,没问题。
Right. I’ll meet you at the hotel at 6.
好。我6点到饭店和你碰面。
I’ve got tickets for the Peking Opera. Would you like to come?
我有京剧演出的票。你想去吗?
Peking Opera. I’d love to come. I’ve never seen it before.
京剧。我想去。我以前还从没看过京剧。
Good. It’s this evening, at seven o’clock.
好。今晚7点的演出。
That’s fine.
好的。
OK. Let’s meet at six o’clock. That will give us enough time to get to the Opera.
好。咱们6点见面。我们有充足的时间到剧院。
Yes, we can take a taxi.
是的,我们可以乘出租车去。
The Hutongs are the old traditional areas of Beijing. They are really fascinating.
胡同是北京古老而传统的地方。它们有迷人的魅力。
Let’s meet this evening and go for a walk round Houhai Lake.
咱们今晚见面,然后绕后海湖散散步。
Good idea.
好主意。
We can have dinner there. There are lots of good restaurants all round the lakeside.
我们可以在那里吃晚饭。在湖边有很多好饭店。
OK. What time is best for you?
好,什么时间对你最合适?
Shall we meet at six this evening? Then we can take a taxi to Houhai.
我们今天晚上6点见面好吗?然后我们可以乘出租车去后海。
That’s good for me. See you then.
我可以。到时候见。
What events are on outside Beijing?
有哪些活动是在北京以外进行的?
What’s on TV this evening?
今天晚上有什么电视节目?
What’s on at the cinema?
现在电影院在播放哪些电影?
Let’s go for a coffee.
我们去喝咖啡吧。
Let’s go to the restaurant for lunch.
咱们去家餐馆吃午饭吧。
Let’s eat Cantonese food this evening.
咱们今晚去家粤式餐厅吧。
Let’s have a drink.
咱们去喝杯饮料吧。
A Beijing has been freezing this week.
A 北京这个礼拜真是冻死人了。
B Yes, and the wind makes it even colder.
B 是呀,再加上风的作用让人觉得更冷。
A Yes. It’s much colder when it’s windy.
A 是的。当刮风时总会的使人觉得更冷。
B You should wear a warm coat and a hat.
B 你应该穿件厚大衣,戴上帽子。
A See you later this evening. By the way, how do I get to the restaurant?
A 晚上再见了。顺便问一句,我怎么才能到达那家餐厅呢?
B Take a taxi. It’s the easiest way.
B 乘出租车去。这样是最便捷的。
A I guess so. How about the subway?
A 我猜也是。地铁如何?
B Yes. You could take the subway. The restaurant is very near Chaoyang subway.
B 是呀。你也可以坐地铁去。那家餐厅离朝阳地铁站很近。
A Let’s meet this evening at the restaurant at 6.30.
A 咱们今晚六点半在餐厅碰面。
B Fine. I’ll get a taxi and see you there.
B 好的。我会乘坐出租,到时再见。
A Why don’t you walk? It’s only about 15 minutes walking and it’s a nice evening.
A 你为什么不走着去?那里只是15分钟的路,而且晚上天气听好的。
B I suppose you are right. It’s quite a short walk. And it’s good exercise!
B 我想你是对的。路程是挺短。同时,这还是很好的运动。
What are you doing this weekend?
你这个周末干什么?
What are your plans for the holiday?
你这个假期有什么安排?
What are you up to this evening?
你今晚上干什么?
What are you doing on Saturday night?
你这个星期六干什么呢?
He that has a full purse never lacks a friend. Even in a busy market, nobody cares to know a poor person.
Anonymous
富在深山有远亲;贫在闹市无人识。
无名氏
Time is a great judge, even in the fields of morals.
H.L Mencken , American arts artic
时间是伟大的法官,即使在道德领域亦如此。
美国文艺评论家门肯。H L
No mourality can be founded on authority, even if the authouity were divine.
A. J. Ayer. USA writer
道德不可能建立在权威的基础上,即使这种权威是至高无上的。
美国作家艾尔.A.J.
To him I owe the discovery that even very short periods of time add up to all useful hours I need, if I plunge in without delay.
Johm Erskine, American educator
我感激他使我发现即使是很短的时刻,只要我分秒必争的一头钻进工作,积累起来就成为我需要的特别有用的几个钟头。
美国教育家厄斯金.J.
As a modern parent, I know that it's not how much you give children those counts, it's the love and attention you shower on them.A caring attitude can not only save you a small fortune, but also even make you feel good about being tight-fisted and offering more care than presents.
O,Hare Noel, American writer
作为一个现代的父母,我很清楚重要的不是你给了孩子们多少物质的东西,而是你倾注在他们身上的关心和爱。关心的态度不仅能帮你省下一笔可观的钱,而且甚至能使你感到一份欣慰,因为你花钱不多并且给予了胜过礼物的关怀。
美国作家诺埃尔.O.
A state which dwarfs its men ,in order that they may be more docile instruments in its hands even for beneficial purposes will find that with small men no great thing can really be accomplished.
John Stuart Mill, British economist
一个政府压制它的人民,以使他们成为自己手中的驯服工具——即便是为了正当的目的——它也会发现,靠受压制的人是不可能真正成就什么大事的。
英国经济学家穆勒J.S.
The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.
Winston Churchill. British statesman
傻瓜有时候也是对的。
英国政治家丘吉尔,W.
No society can make a perpetual constitution, or even a perpetual law.
Thomas Jefferson, America president
没有哪个社会可以制订一部永远适用的宪法,甚至一条永远适用的法律。
美国总统杰斐逊T
I'll get even with you sooner or later.
跟你的这笔帐我迟早会要回来的。
Good evening, how are you?晚安,你好吗?
Sigh. He doesn't even know I'm alive.啊啊,他一直都不知道我还活着。
He is short of breath, even when he has not been exercising, he is
@@@ 即使
even if 即使, 纵然
even now 即使在现在
@@@ 现在, 迄今
as yet 迄今为止
at present 现在, 目前
by far 到目前为止; 最
even now 即使在现在
ever since 从那时起一直到现在
for the moment 暂时; 目前
for the time being 暂时, 眼下
not yet 尚未(到目前为止某事没有发生)
on the spot 在现场, 当场; 立即
so far 迄今为止; 到目前为止
to date 到目前为止, 迄今
even a.傍晚
butt in插嘴,打岔
Amy loves to butt in and offer her advice even when it's not wanted.
不管时机对不对,爱米都喜欢插嘴提供意见。
cheapo小气鬼,没格调的人
Brian is a real cheapo. He won't even spend the money to buy his mother a birthday present.
布莱恩真是个小气鬼。他甚至不愿意花钱位他嘛嘛买生日礼物。
get even 报复
"I tried to keep a poker face even though I was scared to death when I went back to my doctor to hear the results of my lab tests. But I admit I gave him the biggest smile of my life when he told me the tests were negative and there was nothing wrong with me.”
“当我去医生那里去看试验结果的时候,我害怕得要死。可是我尽量装得若无其事。不过,当大夫告诉我化验结果是阴性、我没有问题的时候,我对他笑了,我大概一辈子也没有笑得那么高兴的。”
"I really wanted to try out for the basketball team when I was in college. But the cards were stacked against me: I'm only five feet six inches tall and everybody else was six-two or even taller."
“当我上大学的时候,我真想参加篮球队。可是,那不可能,因为我身高只有一米六多,而其他人都至少有一米八。”
even if/though 即使,虽然
- a blind date 初次约会
James was too excited to have dinner. He was having a blind date with Sue in the evening.
- a freeloader 白吃白喝,爱占便宜的人
In America, even if you live with your relative, you can't be a freeloader.
- Have a mind like a steel trap 头脑特别快
He has a mind like a steel trap. He can remember a new word even if he meets it once.
- Drive someone to the wall 把某人逼得走投无路
He hates learning foreign languages. But the challenging situation drives him to the wall. He decides to go to an evening class.
- Have a way with something /someone 有应付……的办法
She will make a good teacher. She seems to have a way with even the most disobedient boy.
Even a 6% commission is not high.
甚至百分之六的佣金都不算高。
晚安 good night; good evening
傍晚 evening; evenfall; nightfall; dusk
晚报 evening paper
够本 break even
即便 even if; even though
A: Good evening!
A: 晚上好!
B: Good evening!
B: 晚上好!
Sometimes they can be shortened to Morning!, Afternoon! and Evening!
有时可以把它们简略说成Morning!, Afternoon! 和 Evening!
Good morning is typically said in the morning before midday; Good afternoon is said between midday and around 5pm; Good evening is usually said after 5pm.
Good morning 一般在正午之前使用; Good afternoon 在正午和下午5点之前使用; Good evening 一般在下午5点之后使用。
Good evening 晚上好!
Practise saying Hello, Good morning, Good afternoon and Good evening every day to family, friends or colleagues at work. Make it a habit!
每天用Hello, Good morning, Good afternoon 和 Good evening向家人、朋友和同事问好,并形成习惯。
A: Can I make a table reservation for 4 people, please?
A: 我可以预订一张四人桌吗?
B: Certainly, a table for 4. What time?
B: 当然, 一张四人桌。什么时间?
A: For 7 this evening, thank you.
A: 今晚7点,谢谢。
For 7 this evening, please. 晚上7点。
A: Good morning!
A: 早上好!
B: Hello Ping. How are you?
B: 你好, 平!你身体好吗?
A: Busy! I’m meeting my friend at 12 at Starbucks.
A: 忙!我12点将在星巴克见一个朋友。
B: Ok. See you this evening.
B: 好,今晚见。
Again, another way of saying goodbye informally, especially if you know when you will see the person again, is: See you this evening. / See you this evening.
另一种道再见的非正式说法是See you this evening. / 今晚见。尤其当你将很快再次见到某人时使用这种说法。
See you this evening. 今晚见。
A: Hello Neil. Sorry I can’t meet you this evening. I’ve got an appointment at seven-thirty.
A: 尼尔,你好! 对不起,我今晚不能见你。我7点半有一个约会。
B: Don’t worry, Yan. I know you are busy. See you tomorrow.
B: 没关系,燕。我知道你忙。明天见。
A: That would be good. See you tomorrow. Bye.
A: 明天可以。明天见。再见!
When you want to apologise for something, the most common way is to say sorry / sorry. For example. Sorry I can’t meet you this evening. / Sorry I can’t meet you this evening.
当你想为某事道歉时,最常用的说法是 sorry / 对不起。例如: Sorry I can’t meet you this evening. /对不起,我今晚不能见你。
Sorry I can’t meet you this evening. 对不起,我今晚不能见你。
A: How about dinner tonight, Paul?
A: 今晚一起去吃晚餐怎么样,保罗?
B: I don’t know. I’ve got nothing planned.
B: 我不知道。我还没有任何计划。
A: Well, I know a nice restaurant. A Mongolian hotpot restaurant.
A: 恩,我知道一家非常好的餐馆。一家蒙古火锅餐馆。
B: That sounds exciting.
B: 听起来不错。
A: Would you like to go?
A: 你想去吗?
B: Yes, I’d love to.
B: 是的, 我想去。
A: Good. Let’s meet at 6:30 this evening.
A: 好。今晚6:30见。
Remember, you can also make suggestions by using: How about . . .? / How about . . . ? e.g.: How about 2 in the afternoon? / How about 2 in the afternoon? / How about meeting at 7 this evening? / How about meeting at 7 this evening?
记住,你也可以这样提出建议:How about . . .? / . . . 怎么样? 例如: How about 2 in the afternoon? / 下午2点见面怎么样?; How about meeting at 7 this evening? / 晚上7点见面怎么样?
To arrange to telephone someone, you can say: I’ll call you tomorrow / I’ll call you tomorrow; I’ll call you later / I’ll call you later; I’ll call you this evening / I’ll call you this evening.
要安排给某人打电话,你可以说:I’ll call you tomorrow / 我明天给你打电话; I’ll call you later / 我过一会给你打电话r; I’ll call you this evening / 我今晚给你打电话。
A: Ok, Paul. Bye. I’ll call you tomorrow. What’s your mobile number?
A: 好,再见,保罗。我明天给你打电话。你的手机号是多少?
B: My mobile number? It’s one-three-five-two-zero-five-three-seven-two-four. (1352053724)
B: 我的手机号? 是1-3-5-2-0-5-3-7-2-4。
A: Let me just check that. One-three-five-two-zero-five-three-seven-two-four.
A: 我来核对一下。1-3-5-2-0-5-3-7-2-4。
B: That’s right.
B: 对。
A: Ok. Talk to you tomorrow. Have a good evening. Bye.
A: 好。明天跟你通话。祝你度过一个愉快的夜晚。再见。
Remember polite ways of wishing someone a pleasant time: Have a nice day / Have a nice day; Have a good evening / Have a good evening.
记住祝愿某人愉快的礼貌说法:Have a nice day / 祝你今天愉快!Have a good evening /祝你今晚愉快!
A: What’s the big holiday period in Beijing?
A: 在北京大的节假日是哪段时间?
B: We have a big holiday in October. October 1st is National Day. We usually get a few days for vacation. Sometimes, we even get a week.
B: 我们在10月有一个长假。10月1日是国庆节。我们通常有几天的假期,一般是一周时间。
A: That sounds good.
A: 听起来很好。
B: It is. And we also have the New Year and Spring Festival holidays early in the year.
B: 是的。在年初我们还有新年和春节。
A: That must be a busy time.
A: 那时候一定很繁忙。
B: It is. The train stations and the airport are really busy.
B: 是的,火车站和飞机场都非常繁忙。
A: Sue, would you like to come to the Thai restaurant with us?
A: 苏,你愿意和我们一起去泰国餐馆吗?
B: Yes, I’d love to. When are you going?
B: 是的,我愿意。你们什么时候去?
A: We’re thinking about Wednesday evening. Are you free then?
A: 我们正在考虑周三晚上去。你到时有空吗?
B: Wednesday evening sounds good to me. I’m free.
B: 周三晚上对我合适。我有空。
A: Good. Shall we meet about 6?
A: 好。咱们6点见面好吗?
B: Yes, that’s perfect.
B: 好的,没问题。
A: Right. I’ll meet you at the hotel at 6.
A: 好。我6点到饭店和你碰面。
To ask someone what they are doing at anytime in the near future, you can say: What are you doing on Saturday? / What are you doing on Saturday? : What are you doing this evening? / What are you doing this evening?
要问某人在不久的将来要做什么,你可以说:What are you doing on Saturday? /你周六做什么? : What are you doing this evening? /你今晚做什么?
A: I’ve got tickets for the Chinese Opera. Would you like to go?
A: 我有京剧演出的票。你想去吗?
B: Chinese Opera. I’d love to go. I’ve never seen it before.
B: 京剧。我想去。我以前还从没看过京剧。
A: Good. It’s this evening, at seven o’clock.
A: 好。今晚7点的演出。
B: That’s fine.
B: 好的。
A: Ok. Let’s meet at six o’clock. That will give us enough time to get to the Opera.
A: 好。咱们6点见面。我们有充足的时间到剧院。
B: Yes, we can take a taxi.
B: 是的,我们可以乘出租车去。
A: Sue, let’s meet this evening and go for a walk around Houhai Lake.(
A: 苏,咱们今晚见面,然后绕后海湖散散步。
B: Good idea.
B: 好主意。
A: We can have dinner there. There are lots of good restaurants all around the lakeside.
A: 我们可以在那里吃晚饭。在湖边有很多好饭店。
B: Ok. What time is best for you?
B: 好,什么时间对你最合适?
A: Shall we meet at six this evening? Then we can take a taxi to Houhai.
A: 我们今天晚上6点见面好吗?然后我们可以乘出租车去后海。
B: That’s good for me. See you then.
B: 我可以。到时候见。
Remember the easy way to make a suggestion, using Let’s . . . / Let’s . . . e.g.: Let’s meet this evening / Let’s meet this evening: Let’s go for a walk round Houhai Lake / Let’s go for a walk round Houhai Lake.
记住提出建议的简单方法是用Let’s . . . /让我们 . . .例如:Let’s meet this evening / 咱们今晚见: Let’s go for a walk round Houhai Lake/让我们到后海湖转一转。
傍晚 [bàng wǎn] /in the evening/when night falls/towards evening/at night fall/at dusk/
哺 [bū] /evening meal/
不分胜负 [bù fēn shèng fù] /tie/draw/come out even/
不可终日 [bù kě zhōng rì] /be unable to carry on even for a single day/be in a desperate situation/
不偏不倚 [bù piān bù yǐ] /even-handed/impartial/unbiased/
寸草不生 [cùn cǎo bù shēng] /"not even a blade of grass grows"/
都 [dōu] /all/both (if two things are involved)/entirely (due to)each/even/already/
旰 [gàn] /sunset/evening/
更 [gèng] /more/even more/further/still/still more/
更大 [gèng dà] /bigger/even bigger/
更多 [gèng duō] /more/even more/
更高 [gèng gāo] /higher/even higher/
更加 [gèng jiā] /more (than sth else)/even more/
黄昏 [huáng hūn] /dusk/evening/nightfall/
即便 [jí biàn] /even if/even though/
即使 [jí shǐ] /even if/even though/
尽管 [jǐn guǎn] /despite/although/even though/in spite of/
精益求精 [jīng yì qiú jīng] /(saying) improving and wanting to improve even more/
就是 [jiù shì] /(emphasizes that something is precisely or exactly what is stated)/precisely/exactly/even/if/just like/in the same way as/
均 [jūn] /equal/even/all/uniform/
The results are stopped at 1000th line. 262 paragraphs, 1000 lines displayed. Top
(Alt+Z : Reinput words.) (You can doubleclick on the English words you are searching for.)